Re: activedescendant vs activedescendent

From: Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 01:59:21 +0000
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>, Alexander Surkov <surkov.alexander@gmail.com>
Cc: dev-accessibility@lists.mozilla.org, wai-xtech@w3.org

Loretta Guarino Reid asked, quote:
> Could we consider changing it in the spec so it isn't misspelled?
unquote

aloha, loretta!

while i've questioned in the past why some spellings in the ARIA
documents conform to en-us and others to en-gb, especially since
the W3C Technical Report Publication Policy (a.k.a. Pubrules)

http://www.w3.org/2005/07/pubrules

declares that the normative natural language definition for W3C
publications is en-us...   the specification syntax has been a topic
of discussion (such as labeledby versus labelledby -- one is the
preferred spelling in en-us, whilst the other is the preferred spelling
in en-gb) -- and the ARIA drafts reflect those individual decisions...

however, a request that ARIA syntax use the conventions of a single
consistent natural language wouldn't be (in my opinion) an outlandish
request and would do much to auto-answer syntax spelling questions by
reference to the natural language declaration, en-us -- on the other
hand, ALL early adapters of ARIA would have to comprehensively review
their application's code to ensure that their syntax conforms with
the "new" syntax, which is an argument for keeping the terminal "e"
spelling as the normative spelling

in any case, descendent is a viable, accepted spelling of the adjectival
form of the verb "to descend" -- in particular, descending, as in going
down, or descending from an ancestor -- consult:

http://www.m-w.com/dictionary/descendent

also, compare the following two definitions:
 * http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/descendent
 * http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/descendant

gregory.
LANGUAGE, n.  The music with which we charm the serpents guarding
another's treasure.     -- Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary
            Gregory J. Rosmaita, oedipus@hicom.net
UBATS: United Blind Advocates for Talking Signs: http://ubats.org