Re: IE's AND EVERYONE ELSE'S object implementation problems (was RE: Baby Steps or Backwards Steps?)

Hi, Robert-

Thanks for putting these tests together.  I would also like to see how
SVG content is handled for all of these cases.  There are a few
scenarios to consider:

* static SVG (no interactivity, just an image)
* dynamic SVG (animation, audio, and/or video... all of these have
time-based aspects)
* SVG with various "intrisic size" issues... no width and/or height
attribute, width/height of 100%, width/height as absolute values, and
variations involving viewboxes.

Finally, since SVG has its own DOM, the tests should include access to
and from that DOM.  I can't think of another example of a format that
would be embedded in an <object> that also has its own DOM, but it could
come to pass... what should/could happen when HTML is embedded in an
HTML <object> element?

Obviously, IE won't handle SVG at all out of the box (though I hope that
will change), but there are plugins available (Adobe's being the most
famous).  Opera will most likely handle all the cases very handily, and
FF and Safari will handle some of it (interactivity through links and
script alone, no native animation, audio, or video).

I'm rather busy at the moment, but if you need help putting together
test cases, I'm happy to do so (though no promises as to when).  A long
while back, I did put together some simple tests for the link target
attribute values that might help get us started:

http://vectoreal.com/w3c/link-target-test/

Regards-
-Doug Schepers
W3C Staff Contact, SVG, CDF, and WebAPI