Re: Alternate Additional Attribute Set for a Single Quote Element

On 01/08/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:

> Hi Gregory,
>
> On Aug 1, 2007, at 11:02 AM, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> > there is also a comprehensive review of Q, QUOTE, and BLOCKQUOTE in

> > <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jul/0915.html>

> > Additional Alternate Attribute Set for a Single Quote Element
> >
> > 1. @type - defines the type of quotation:
> >
> >    * type="inline"
> >    * type="nested"
> >    * type="block"
> >
> > these type attributes should determine how a QUOTE is rendered:
> >
> >    * inline, embedded in surrounding non-quoted text;
> >    * nested, a way of including a QUOTE that includes a QUOTE;
> >    * block, render contents of the QUOTE element as a block element
>
> If this is addressing the same use-case I'm thinking about I think
> such attributes are unnecessary. If I understand correctly, you're
> trying to provide a single semantic element for quotations that can
> be presented appropriately depending on it's content model.

I think that argument is flawed, relying on structure rather than markup?
I don't believe it addressed the inline vs block usage that Gregory enables
explicitly via markup.

div/quote vs p/quote.

Many authors use improper markup using divs as their only block level division.
Is the above inline or block level?

Also, relying on the appropriate codepoint for quotes could result in confusion
depending on the editor used.

I think SGML / XML should use markup rather than structure to infer semantics.

regards

--
Dave Pawson
XSLT XSL-FO FAQ.