Re: timed text and styling

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005 02:27:23 +1100, Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>
wrote:

> At 8:51 PM +1100 3/22/05, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>> Since, as XML, it is obviously possible just to associate a CSS style
>> sheet, it would be nice to explicitly recognise this possibility within
>> the spec.
>
> The response one could expect from the Timed Text group is along the
> lines of what Glenn said recently:
>
> <quote cite=
> "http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2005Mar/0009.html">
>
> What you are requesting is a form of rule based applicative styling
> that applies independent style rules to content based on matching
> criteria. This mechanism will be defined in AFXP, but was explicitly
> ruled out for DFXP since it requires either (1) having all content
> available to apply rules to, or (2) repeatedly re-evaluating all
> rules for each content unit that arrives (e.g., in a streaming
> scenario).
>
> </quote>
>
> If that is their response, where do we go from there?

I would point out that this is very close to what already required in what
they do in DFXP. You can reference a style, so you have to be able to
evaluate it. If you have a set of style rules applied then you evaluate
the rules when you first read them (to figure out the cascade), and apply
them to each element that comes down the pipe in a reasonably linear
fashion.

It's really just a question of syntax. Instead of processing the rules and
then looking at each element to see what rules it calls on, plus what
inline rules it adds, and apply them, you process the rules then look at
each element to see which rules it matches, and apply them.

cheers

Chaals

--
Charles McCathieNevile                      Fundacion Sidar
charles@sidar.org   +61 409 134 136    http://www.sidar.org