Re: timed text and styling

At 8:51 PM +1100 3/22/05, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>Another comment I am thinking about:
>
>Style and user styling
>
>Quite a lot of work went into CSS. It is also considered pretty
>normal to style XML with CSS.
>
>For accessibility purposes it is helpful to have something like the
>CSS2 Cascade rules (which represented a change from CSS1 for
>enhanced accessibility). It turns out that text is about the only
>area where it is easy for user styles to make sense, so it seems a
>shame that there is no mechanism anticipated by the spec for using
>CSS and taking advantage of the cascading of rules that are
>important to the user, where appropriate. Since, as XML, it is
>obviously possible just to associate a CSS style sheet, it would be
>nice to explicitly recognise this possibility within the spec.

The response one could expect from the Timed Text group is along the
lines of what Glenn said recently:

<quote cite=
"http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tt/2005Mar/0009.html">

What you are requesting is a form of rule based applicative styling
that applies independent style rules to content based on matching
criteria. This mechanism will be defined in AFXP, but was explicitly
ruled out for DFXP since it requires either (1) having all content
available to apply rules to, or (2) repeatedly re-evaluating all
rules for each content unit that arrives (e.g., in a streaming
scenario).

</quote>

If that is their response, where do we go from there?

Al