Re: [XAG] drop search from checkpoint 3.2

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 11:10:41 -0000
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "WAI Cross-group list" <wai-xtech@w3.org>

"Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
> 3.2 Define navigable structures that allow discrete, sequential,
> and search navigation functionalities.
> I think search -based navigation is a function that properly belongs to
> user agent, not the XML application, and so we should drop the search
> from this checkpoint.

My reading of enabling "search navigation" was ensuring that the data was
marked up in such a way as could be simply searched, consider an XML
format which seperates out each character in a word into a different
elements, this isn't particularly easily searchable.

That's probably a rather silly example, but I'm sure you could have data
models which make searching harder, but it's unlikely people are going to
use them anyway I guess.