RE: navigation order RE: svg and events

charles wrote:

> The drawing order in SVG is important.
Accepted. only important for overlaps though?

> Although heirarchical grouping doesn't work for everything,
> it works for a lot.

If I said hierarchical order I was being too casual.
If I have simple shapes to draw (no matter how complex internally)
I can present sequentially, describing each 'thing' at an appropriate level.

Sounds doable.

> Patrick Roth has been developing a tool for exploring
> SVG-type graphics (I
> hope he will be able to demonstrate it for SVG itself soon)
> with audio/haptic
> feedback, including speaking descriptive text and providing sound, and
> force-feedback from the right kinds of mouse. The project
> Dave mentioned also
> provides sound feedback from the mouse. But neither of these
> projects seem to
> have addressed the question "what is here?" for the user who
> doesn't actually
> care at all about the layout, and doesn't want to explore the shapes
> themselves.

Surely a normal preference for lots of users?
The 'where am I ' question is again fairly common, and must be
answered. A (too) simplistic response is to provide a means of
getting to a home position, say the document root?

> An interesting
> starting point might be to work backwards within siblings,
> given the drawing order thing.

That answers the local 'where am I' question.
  In a straight sequential presentation, it would be local navigation.

Regards DaveP

-

confidential and may be legally privileged. If you are not the
intended recipient you are hereby notified that you must not use,
disclose, distribute, copy, print or rely on this email's content. If
immediately and then delete the email and any attachments from your
system.

RNIB has made strenuous efforts to ensure that emails and any
attachments generated by its staff are free from viruses. However, it
cannot accept any responsibility for any viruses which are
transmitted. We therefore recommend you scan all attachments.

represent those of RNIB.

RNIB Registered Charity Number: 226227

Website: http://www.rnib.org.uk

14th June 2002 is RNIB Look Loud Day - visit http://www.lookloud.org.uk to