Definitions: impairment, disability and handicap

From: Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 06:43:48 -0400
To: "3WC WAI X-TECH" <wai-xtech@w3.org>
Cc: "Wendy A. Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>

As discussed back in Nov 2001 by Emmanuelle Gutiérrez y Restrepo, and
Lisa Seeman.........I also feel that we should be using the World Health
Organization's definitions for these terms.
I will be including them in the WAI Glossary as such, unless further
discussion warrants a change.

As defined by the World Health Organization (WHO)

1.  impairment
refers to an abnormality of body structure, appearance, organ and system
functioning.

(Impairments are problems in body function or structure such as a
significant deviation or loss)

2. disability
is the consequence of an impairment in functional performance and
activity

3. handicap
is the consequence which is reflected in interaction with, and
adaptation to, the surroundings

Katie Haritos-Shea

Internet/Software/Device Accessibility and Standards
Strategist/Developer/Evangelist

#571-220-7777

"The best and most beautiful things in the world
     cannot be seen or even touched.
    They must be felt with the heart."
                - Helen Keller