Penn State Outreach Conference

From: Ryan Badowski (rxb197@outreach.psu.edu)
Date: Fri, Jan 19 2001

    Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 14:35:09 -0500
    To: wai-events@w3.org
    From: Ryan Badowski <rxb197@outreach.psu.edu>
    Subject: Penn State Outreach Conference

    Hello!
    My name is Ryan Badowski, from Penn State's Outreach and Cooperative
    Extension Department.  We will be holding our annual Outreach
    Scholarship 2001 Conference in the fall of this year and are looking
    for electronic publications that will announce this event.  Your site
    is one that is very well suited to publish this sort of information,
    being that it focuses on one of our most important goals - promoting
    distance education.  Below are the conference details, including a
    calendar of events.  Feel free to edit it so that it conforms to the
    specifications of your site.  Thank you for helping to further this
    important trend in education.

    Thank you - Ryan Badowski

    Overview - Outreach Scholarship: Learning, Discovery, and Engagement

    Leaders in higher education are interested in trends that will be
    affecting their institutions and those they serve. The Outreach
    Scholarship: Learning, Discovery, and Engagement  conference has been
    designed to provide you with an opportunity to learn about the
    marketplace trends that impact public policy, higher education, and
    our communities. The conference will be held October 14-16, 2001, at
    The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel, The Pennsylvania State
    University, University Park, Pennsylvania. Don't miss this
    opportunity to informally benchmark with some of the nation's
    outreach leaders. This conference is intended to create a leadership
    dialogue-promoting an open discussion of the issues affecting the
    future of our institutions. This conference will also provide
    practical tools for implementing change in our institutions.

    This is the second conference focusing on best practices in outreach
    and public service held at The Pennsylvania State University. Last
    year's conference attracted over 300 people to more than seventy
    sessions, including key note addresses, and a variety of special
    events. Planning is underway to make this year's gathering more
    comprehensive and dynamic than ever. This year, Penn State is joined
    by Ohio State University and University of Wisconsin Extension in
    offering university and college faculty, administrators, and
    community leaders an opportunity to share strategies on how to build
    creative, effective partnerships and sustainable outreach and
    engagement initiatives. We invite you and your colleagues to
    participate in this dialogue for engagement.

    The conference will:

    *	Provide a forum for participants to exchange knowledge,
    insights, and experiences related to outreach initiatives
    *	Focus on practical applications; providing the participants
    with usable tools to implement in their respective institutions
    *	Promote closer collaborative linkages among outreach
    personnel, faculty, individuals, communities, organizations, and
    government officials
    *	Encourage open discussion on issues of common concern to
    leaders and practitioners regarding outreach and engagement
    *	Examine successful outreach initiatives from the perspective
    of the community and the outreach recipient
    *	Offer evidence that creating an outreach culture is
    beneficial to college and university communities and the larger
    communities they serve
    *	Create opportunities to informally benchmark with some of the
    nation's outreach leaders in creating an agenda for the engaged
    university
    *	Support the development and advancement of the knowledge base
    and theory behind successful outreach in the changing society.

    This conference is targeted to college and university leaders and
    faculty interested in engaging their discipline with those outside
    the academic community and with cooperative extension, continuing
    education, distance education, technology transfer, governmental
    affairs, university relations, and public broadcasting. The
    presentations will focus on the following important areas:

    *	Involving community stakeholders and faculty in outreach initiatives
    *	Measuring quality and impact
    *	Delivering key programmatic areas or initiatives at your
    institutions (e.g., P-12 education, business and technology, health
    and science, workforce and community development)
    *	Funding outreach initiatives
    *	Using information technology and electronic commerce to serve
    constituencies
    *	Fostering support of technology transfer
    *	Building innovative outreach initiatives
    *	Building collaborations and partnerships
    *	Assisting urban and rural communities
    *	Enhancing program development and marketing
    *	Supporting public policy and engagement
    *	Delivering distance education and public broadcasting
    *	Promoting outreach scholarship

    Join us in October 2001 to participate in the dialogue of
    engagement-a dialogue of change in higher education, outreach, and
    public service.

    =========================

    Schedule at a Glance

    Note: This schedule will be revised as the program is developed.

    Sunday, October 14, 2001

    1:00-1:15 p.m.			Welcome
    1:00-1:45			OPENING KEYNOTE ADDRESS
    1:45-3:15			Response Panel
    3:15-3:30			Break
    3:30-4:45			Plenary Session
    5:00-6:30			Reception
    6:30-8:30			Dinner and Dinner Speaker

    Monday, October 15, 2001
    8:00-9:15 a.m.			Plenary Session
    9:15-9:45			Break
    9:45-10:45			Concurrent Sessions
    10:45-11:15			Break
    11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.		Concurrent Sessions
    12:15-1:45			Lunch with Luncheon Speaker
    2:00-3:00			Concurrent Sessions
    3:00-3:30			Break
    3:30-4:30			Concurrent Sessions
    4:30				Break

    Dinner on Your Own
    Shop, dine, and enjoy the quaint charm of State College

    Tuesday, October 16, 2001
    8:00-9:15 a.m.			Plenary Session
    9:15-9:45			Break
    9:45-10:45			Concurrent Sessions
    10:45-11:15			Break
    11:15 a.m.-12:15 p.m.		Concurrent Sessions
    12:15-1:45			Lunch with Luncheon Speaker
    2:00				Adjourn

    Contact Information

    Web Site:	www.outreach.psu.edu/C&I/OutreachScholarship2001

    For information about the program, please contact:
    Jeri Childers
    Program Chair
    Outreach Office of Program Development
    The Pennsylvania State University
    403 Keller Building
    University Park  PA  16802-1304
    Phone:  814-865-7679
    Fax:  814-865-3589
    E-mail:  jyc4@outreach.psu.edu

    For information about the program, please contact:
    Chris Dufour
    Conferences and Institutes
    The Pennsylvania State University
    225The Penn Stater Conference Center Hotel
    University Park  PA  16802-7005
    Phone:  814-863-5100
    Fax:  814-863-5190
    E-mail:  ConferenceInfo1@outreach.psu.edu