Translations question reply -- Re: [wbs] response to 'EOWG Weekly Survey - 09 November 2018'

Sharron,

Thanks for the review and input. Reply below includes a follow-up question.

Correct, we explored the option of a drop-down. It was ruled out for several reasons noted in <https://www.w3.org/wiki/WAI_Translations#Always_visible_vs._select> & <https://github.com/w3c/wai-translations/issues/6>

> wonder if there is concern that as the number of languages increases, will
> the list at the top become untenable?

We're thinking most WAI pages will have less than10 translations, and the max will be about 25. In the current design in common "desktop" configurations, about 10 languages fits on one line and 25 languages fits on two lines. (If we ever get to more than 2 lines, we could consider it responsively going into the mobile UI <https://www.w3.org/wiki/WAI_Translations#Mobile_.28small_viewport.29>.) For mobile, the plan is one line or it goes to a toggle.

Note:
* The mock-up has 12 languages to show how it looks when it wraps to 2 lines. We probably won't get that many translations for most pages, at least for a long time.
* The mock-up has that yellow banner across the top. I find it good when looking at the mock-up, to scroll down so the banner isn't visible.

Question for you: If it is usually 1 line and never more than 2 lines, does that seem "tenable" from your perspective?

Thanks,