Re: [more updates] For review: Scenarios page in How People with Disabilities Use the Web

Hi Andrew,

Ref: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/scenarios>

Thank you for your comments. They have been addressed as per below:

On 12.03.2010 11:38, Andrew Arch wrote:
> As I've already said Shadi, looking pretty good :) and incorporating
> Suzette's suggestion of lists works well for me.
>
> Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ref: <http://www.w3.org/WAI/EO/Drafts/PWD-Use-Web/2009/scenarios>
>
> A few comments and suggestions ...
>
>> I've done some more tweaks based on the previous EOWG discussion and
>> on other feedback received. Find below a description of these changes:
>>

>> # Introduction
>> - Editorial tweaks to better caution the reader that these are just a
>> few examples and by no means an exhaustive listing.
>
> There still seems to be some confusion about this being examples rather
> than inclusive. It is quite clear to me, but maybe the opening sentence
> could become slightly less definitive, eg: "The following scenarios
> illustrate how *some* people with a variety of disabilities ..."

Added "some" to the sentence as suggested.

> Eds-discretion: "People with disabilities are as diverse as any people
> ..." -> "People with disabilities are as diverse as anyone/everyone ..."

This text has been taken from "Involving Users". It is an open issue
that needs discussion. I will come back to it at a later time.

>> # Scenario 2: Reporter with repetitive stress injury
>> - Paragraph 4 has been split out, and describes keyboard accessibility
>> in more detail (especially skip-links and other shortcut mechanisms).
>
> I think this works well. WRT reporter/journalist - I prefer journalist
> but can live with reporter.

Agree but kept for now, as we need a group discussion on it.

>> # Scenario 3: Online student who is deaf
>> - Ms. Martinez is hard of hearing rather than deaf to better reflect
>> the different types of hearing disabilities.
>>

>> # Scenario 4: Accountant with blindness
>> - Ms. Laitinen now uses a virtual learning environment to train staff
>> at her company.
>
> I suspect there could be confusion over the term 'senior accountant'. To
> me it implies a position of higher responsibility (like 'senior
> management' in the training examples) rather than older in age. But
> recent teleconf discussion has indicated that others may be reading it
> as an older employee. Often the two go hand-in-hand, but not
> necessarily. No immediate grammatical solution comes to mind, but I'll
> keep thinking.

Good point. Marked as an open editor issue for group discussion.

> Para4 typo: "must frequently trains" -> "must frequently train"
> also consider: "much of the staff" -> "many of the staff"

Done.

>> # Scenario 5: Classroom student with dyslexia
>> - Last paragraph has been split out into two, and the former further
>> describes the benefits of accessible online libraries.
>
> Wonder if the last para should say 'multiple navigation methods'?

Changed to "multiple navigation mechanisms" but happy to discuss.

> # Scenario 6: Retiree with several aging-related conditions
>
> para 4 - suggest: do not support text enlarging -> do not support text
> enlarging properly

Changed to "Unfortunately, Mr. Yunus discovered that many websites are
not designed to support text enlarging".

> Also agree with Shawn about the difficulty in hearing audio captcha, so
> maybe augmented with audio as some do is the way to mention this.

Changed to "Only few websites provide alternatives to CAPTCHA images
that are more accessible to him" to avoid unintentional suggestions.

> My understanding of central vision loss was that this is the area that
> enabled detail to be distinguished, hence it would usually result in
> difficulty with small text. Eg AMD results in loss of central vision:
> http://www.visionaustralia.org/info.aspx?page=605

Changed to "he has reduced vision ..." to better match.

> # Scenario 7: Supermarket assistant with cognitive disability
>
> para 4 typo: "showed him a software" -> "showed him some software"

Done.

>> # Scenario 8: Teenager with deaf-blindness
>> - Paragraph 4 now describes how Ms. Kaseem uses GPS and location based
>> services on her mobile phone.
>> - Paragraph 5 now describes the issue of text not wrapping when it is
>> enlarged in some formats.
>
> As Ms Kaseem has only recently acquired low vision, I suspect she would
> probably not be using a refreshable braile device, though is her
> condition is expected to continue to deteriorate, then she may be
> learning braile (slowly as suggested). As we already have a braile
> reader user in #4, maybe this is not required here?

IMO it is more required here. I've removed from scenario #4 instead.

Thanks,
   Shadi