RE: additional request for technical & financial factors -RE: DRAFT edits on BusCase - Policy

Henk,

Thanks for taking another pass at it! Most updates are incorporated in
the latest versions online. Comments surrounded by brackets ([...])
below. Let me know if you want to discuss any of this.

Best,

~ Shawn

Tech factors page

[DONE] Reduce the size of each page served by defining presentation in
style  sheets (which are only requested once per session), rather than
each page's  HTML. (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 3.3) = Reduce the size of each
page served by  defining presentation in style sheets (which are only
requested once per session),  rather than each page's HTML and by using
markup  structure rather than  images. (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 3.3, 3.1)

[DONE] - "Reduce site-wide style change time and effort" add also 3.1,
[DONE] - "Reduce unwanted page downloading (and thus server requests)"
add  also 13.6, 14.3,
[DONE] - "Render stylized information across a wide range of
configurations" add  also 3.3,
[missing connection between 3.5 ("Use header elements to convey document
structure and use them according to specification") and this point]-
"Allow users  and user agents to request content" add also 3.5

Financial factors page

Increases findability:
[not sure how to fit this re-wording with the lead in, "Accessibility
techniques  increase the findability of Web pages by exposing content to
search engines, both  internally (within a Web site) and externally
(across the World Wide Web). For  example:" ] - By using meta data
because some search engines use metadata to  index pages (WCAG 1.0
Checkpoint 13.2) [1]
[1.3 covers says to provide an auditory description, which is not
available to  search engines] - By using alternative text for images
since search engines  search for text strings and not for graphical
information (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint  1.1, 1.3) [2]
[added 3.4]- By using text marked up as headings because some search
engines  give higher weight to text marked up as headings (WCAG 1.0
Checkpoint 3.5) [3]

Increases usability:
[hum, clear & understandable content and good color contrast don't
really focus  on making it easier to find the right location or page]
Some accessibility  guidelines make it easier to find the right location
or page for everyone, thus  directly increase usability, such as:
[added checkpoints]
- consistent navigation (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 13.4);
- clear and understandable content (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 14.1);
- clearl link text (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 13.1);
- good color contrast (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 2.2).

[DONE] Other accessibility guidelines can indirectly increase usability,
for  example, by making Web pages load faster *<link to soc page>

Decreases the cost of translating
[DONE, plus others] Following accessibility guidelines for:
- using clear and consistent language (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 14.1),
- separating content from presentation (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 3.3),
- and using appropriate markup (WCAG 1.0 Checkpoint 3.1, 3.2)
can reduce the cost of translating the Web site to other languages. [4]