Re: Addition to guidelines: from static to dynamic

Jason White <jasonw@ariel.ucs.unimelb.EDU.AU> wrote:
> Experience has shown that
> recommendations which detract from the visual aesthetics of a document
> will not be enthusiastically endorsed by web content providers, for
> example the "one link per line" idea or the d-link suggestion.

That is perfectly described: the only ones we will really reach are
those who have to like governements and organisation for the

blind. This is my big concern.
> The
> preferable alternative is to emphasize the distinction, which is already
> inherent in HTML, between appearance and semantic content, to take full
> advantage of the style sheet mechanism and to develop braille and audio
> formatting software which can provide optimal presentations of HTML
> documents in each of these media. This work also provides the opportunity
> to encourage the adoption of good design principles by HTML content
> providers and authoring software developers.

One additional thing that has not yet been covered enough is
that we are talking about HTML documents only.
The web more and more does not use documents, but interactive
and dynamic approaches using much more than straight forward
HTML. The access tools mentioned above must support:
- security facilities
- script language facilities
- Interpretation of graphical objects (maps etc.
- ALT-text and longdesc handling integrated as a standardized
  view to theinformation.

As I said earlier: we need access to the web and not only to
blind-friendly pages.
The reason for this is that internet or its next generation will
be the only means to access necessary information.
Best regards,
Jaap

Message from: Jaap van Lelieveld      The Netherlands
              Chairman of EBU commission on Technical Devices and Services
E-mail:       Jaap.van.Lelieveld@inter.nl.net

USING: YARN V0.92 as an offline reader, and
       UQWK / OLMENU under UNIX for mail and news transfer