Re: HTML markup for language identification?

to follow up on what Dave Raggett said:

> On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Jason White wrote:
>
> > it is necessary to be able to ascertain the language in which a
> > document is written.
> > [and fragments within documents].
>
> HTML Cougar basically subsumes RFC 2070 including the LANG
> attribute which is intended for this purpose.

Thanks for explaining this.  May I check to see if I got the
story straight?

In the current W3C recommendation (14-Jan-1997) there is no
support for language identification other than by putting an
HTTP-EQUIV META tag in the HEAD which is perforce for the whole
document.

We can see in the Cougar DTD (that's all we can see) that LANG is
a generic attribute.  This means that it can be used on P,
BLOCQUOTE, and generally enough varieties of container to handle
mixed-language documents.

Is that substantially correct?

--
Al Gilman