Re: HTML markup for language identification?

On Wed, 11 Jun 1997, Al Gilman wrote:

> Thanks for explaining this.  May I check to see if I got the
> story straight?
>
> We can see in the Cougar DTD (that's all we can see) that LANG is
> a generic attribute.  This means that it can be used on P,
> BLOCQUOTE, and generally enough varieties of container to handle
> mixed-language documents.
>
> Is that substantially correct?

Yes - and you can get RFC 2070 from:

  ftp://ftp.ds.internic.net/rfc/rfc2070.txt

The new Japanese wing of W3C is particularly interested in
internationalization and tackling harder cases like vertical
text runs, and mixed vertical and horizontal runs. (ugh!).

Regards,

Dave Raggett <dsr@w3.org>

tel +44 122 578 2521 url http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett