Re: Unconference item -- need feedback

Greetings,

The proposed session for the unconference session next week follows.

I'm looking for some advance thoughts on the topic -- however brief.

Three questions:
Anyone have other examples?
Anyone have more questions or issues that should be addressed?
Other thoughts on this issue?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
Kim

Proposed session for unconference

Adjusting to today's explosion of input methods

Most of user interface development has assumed keyboard and/or mouse
input. Three relative newcomers, however, promise to be increasingly
important -- touch, speech and gesture. How important is it for the
system to know whether the user is using touchscreen, keyboard, mouse,
speech or gesture? How does a mix of input methods, whether or not each
method is aware of the other, affect the browser and the user experience?

The user experience can be very different depending on input method. For
instance, it's rare for a mouse user to have a focus-related issue even
when system focus is badly implemented because the mouse user
automatically changes focus to mouse location simply by using the mouse.
This is different for keyboard and speech users.

Another example is the single-key keyboard shortcuts that are
increasingly popular for Web apps. It's rare for a keyboard user to
accidentally type more than a key or two in a situation where "a"
archives a message and "n" goes to the next message, but if a speech
user says a phrase in the wrong place, or if the speech system in
correctly interprets a command as a phrase, several words worth of
commands can be carried out instantly, and not easily reversed.

What should the browser be aware of in terms of input methods? What
should the user be able to adjust to make the browser more aware? What
can we do to make sure users keep the control of the system despite
increasingly complicated situation with input?

On 10/25/2011 11:07 AM, Jim Allan wrote:
> Time: User Agent Working Group will begin  the call at 1 pm Boston
> Local Time, (18:00-19:30 UTC/GMT)
> http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html
>
> Call-in: Zakim bridge at: +1-617-761-6200, for UK use SIP phone call
> Zakim via zakim@voip.w3.org
>
> Code:  82941# (UAWG1#)
>
> IRC: server: irc.w3.org, port: 6665, channel: #ua.
>
> Chair: Jim Allan, Kelly Ford
>
> Agenda+ Review F2F Agenda
>
> Agenda+ Review Survey for this week -- coming soon, Wayne Dick and Kim
> Patch Proposals
>
> Agenda+  Review Survey for Oct 6 - http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110929/
>
> Agenda+  Review Survey for Sept 22 http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/
>
> Agenda+ review comments -