W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 2011

Minutes: User Agent Teleconference 22 Sep 2011

From: Kelly Ford <Kelly.Ford@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2011 19:16:17 +0000
To: "'UAWG list' (w3c-wai-ua@w3.org)" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Message-ID: <FDD93DBB2C16D643AABC1A7111D149F32DF227CA@TK5EX14MBXW603.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.microsoft.com>
- DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
22 Sep 2011

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-irc>

Attendees
Present
Kim, Kelly, Jim, Jan, Greg, Jeanne, Mark
Regrets
Simon
Chair
Jim_Allan, Kelly_Ford
Scribe
Jan, jallan, Jim, Jan
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Register for TPAC http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/ review CSS3<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item01>
     *   Charter timeline check<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item02>
     *   summary comments from Jeanne<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Guideline 2.2 - Provide sequential navigation<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Guideline 2.3 - Provide direct navigation and activation<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item05>
     *   Guideline 2.4 - Provide text search<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item06>
     *   Summary for Guideline 2.6<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#item07>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________

<trackbot> Date: 22 September 2011

<kford> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JulSep/0010.html

<kford> Agenda update on 1.7.x + y

<kford> **ALL OF GL1 IS COMPLETE!

<kford> 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 2.6 2.7 2.8 2.9 2.10 2.11

<kford> 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4

<kford> 4.2

<kford> **ALL OF GL1 IS COMPLETE!!

<kford> 2.5.1 discover keystrokes

<kford> 2.7.1 - 7 preference settings

<kford> 2.11.3, 2.11.4 execution placeholder and toggle

<kford> 2.11.6 Stop/Pause/Resume Time-Based Media

<kford> 2.11.7 Navigate Time-Based Media

<kford> 2.11.8 Semantic Navigation of Time-Based Media

<kford> 2.11.9 Track Enable/Disable of Time-Based Media

<kford> 2.11.10 Sizing Playback Viewport: (examples)

<kford> 2.11.11 Scale and position alternative media tracks (examples)

<kford> 2.11.12 Adjust Playback Contrast and Brightness (examples) **ALL GL3 IER ARE COMPLETE!!!

<kford> 4.2.1 Hand-off Focus (intent)

<kford> 4.2.3 Nested user agents (focus) (intent) **ALL OF GL5 IS COMPLETE!!

<Jan> Scribe: Jan

JR, MH: Need to leave at 2pm ET
Register for TPAC http://www.w3.org/2011/11/TPAC/ review CSS3

KF: If you can attend TPAC, pls register ASAP

KP: Are people going to the unconference session?

JS: Yes

KP: Its a nice format...lots of discussions

Greg: Haven't made my final travel plans

KP: Missing piece is what are we doing for users...
... Whether or not we are going, we should propose topics

JS: Has more cred coming from members

KF: If you can go, let the list know
Charter timeline check

KF: Back in July we thought there would be another working draft last week.
... So we missed that...
... THen said Nov 15 would be another working draft
... Then LC in early 2012

JR: Missed window to publish before TPAC

KF: Or do we go for publishing a solid draft right after TPAC

JS: Key one is to have document written and promoted heavily to browsers....

KF: So ok to aim for Nov?

<kford> Proposed schedule:

<kford> 2011-07-14 Publish Working Draft

<kford> 2011-09-15 Publish Working Draft

<kford> 2011-10-31 F2F - TPAC

<kford> 2011-11-15 Publish Working Draft

<kford> 2012-01 Last Call

<kford> 2012-06 2nd Last Call

<kford> 2012-10 Candidate Recommendation

<kford> 2013-03 Proposed Rec

<kford> 2013-05 Recommendation

KF: Earliest draft that could be actively evangelized is Nov 15

JS: Would like to see us do this independent of TPAC.
... If we all take a writing assignment, could we publish within 2 wks?

JR: Have alll the duplicate SCs been removed?

KF: Is current editors draft 100% up to date?
... Before next meeting I will re-read current editors draft
... Looking for things that would prevent me from evangelizing
... But Jeanne, please do your edits before you tell me to start.

JS: Today, I will do edits from today and last week and send it to you.

KF: OK let's make this decision next call

<scribe> ACTION: KF to Will review doc from top to bottom by Sept 29 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-617 - Will review doc from top to bottom by Sept 29 [on Kelly Ford - due 2011-09-29].
summary comments from Jeanne

<kford> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2011JulSep/0103.html

JS: THis is in a survey

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/results
Guideline 2.2 - Provide sequential navigation

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/results#xq1

Users can use the keyboard to navigate sequentially (2.2.3) to all the operable elements (2.2.1) in the viewport as well as between viewports (2.2.2). Users can optionally disable wrapping or request a signal when wrapping occurs (2.2.4).

GL: Tricky usability for "wrapping".

<jallan> I have not seen a modern browser that wraps internally (iframes, forms, etc)

<jallan> have only seen wrapping in the UI. when the tab reaches the bottom, it starts over on the address bar.

KF: These summaries should reflect GLs that we have...if they do we should accept them
... If this causes us to think about revising an SC, we should mark it as an issue

KP: Good

<scribe> ACTION: JS to Add summary "Users can use the keyboard to navigate sequentially (2.2.3) to all the operable elements (2.2.1) in the viewport as well as between viewports (2.2.2). Users can optionally disable wrapping or request a signal when wrapping occurs (2.2.4)." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-618 - Add summary "Users can use the keyboard to navigate sequentially (2.2.3) to all the operable elements (2.2.1) in the viewport as well as between viewports (2.2.2). Users can optionally disable wrapping or request a signal when wrapping occurs (2.2.4)." [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-09-29].
Guideline 2.3 - Provide direct navigation and activation

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/results#xq2

<jallan> combined Jan & Kim: Summary: In addition to sequential navigation, users can navigate directly(e.g. keyboard shortcuts) to important elements (2.3.1) with the option of immediate activation of the operable elements (2.3.3). Display commands with the elements to make it easier for users to discover the commands (2.3.2 & 2.3.4). The user can remap the direct commands to their needs (2.3.5).

<jallan> Summary: Users can navigate directly(e.g. keyboard shortcuts) to important elements (2.3.1) with the option of immediate activation of the operable elements (2.3.3). Display commands with the elements to make it easier for users to discover the commands (2.3.2 & 2.3.4). The user can remap the direct commands to their needs (2.3.5).

GL: Configurability of important elements requirement seems to be missing

<jallan> ?? do I need to write an issue about putting 'wrapping' in the glossary

KF: Should begin with "Users can..."

<jeanne> +1 to making it clearer. It is not testable.

GL: Should be clear if not necessarily precise

<Greg> From the Wiki page: <<Greg Lowney 2011-04-20: It seems like for the purposes of structural navigation (e.g. go to next h2) and structural views (e.g. outline view) you'd certainly want the user to be able to define the set of important elements (e.g. only show headings of level 3 or higher). But for direct navigation and activation in content (e.g. Mouseless Browsing) would it be acceptable...

<Greg> ...for it to just include all operable elements?>>

GL: should also think about levels...we were saying "Ideally should also"
Guideline 2.4 - Provide text search

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/20110921/results#xq3

<Greg> That is, we can phrase the summary entries to clearly distinguish level A from Level AAA, etc. so the reader doesn't get the impression that everything is equal and highest priority.

Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have instances of the searched for text highlighted in context in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)

<jallan> User's can search the rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have instances of the searched for text highlighted in context in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)

Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the searched for text highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)

Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matching text highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)

Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)

<jallan> +1

<jeanne> +1

<mhakkinen> +1

<KimPatch> +1

<scribe> ACTION: JS to Add in "Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-619 - Add in "Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)." [on Jeanne F Spellman - due 2011-09-29].

<KimPatch> Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4). Users can also search for text alternatives (2.4.5).

<Greg> > Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4). Users can also search for text alternatives and with or without case (2.4.5).

<Greg> I don't mind either leaving out details or including all details, but dislike including a subset of details which implies to the reader that it's listing all of them.

<jallan> scribe: jallan

<KimPatch> Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4). Users can also search for case and for text alternatives (2.4.5).

+1

Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4). Users can also search case and for text alternatives (2.4.5).

<KimPatch> Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4). Users can also search by case and for text alternatives (2.4.5).
Summary for Guideline 2.6

combined Jan and Kim Summary: Users can interact with web content by mouse, keyboard, voice input, gesture, or a combination of input methods. Users can discover what event handlers (e.g. onmouseover) are available at the element (2.6.1) and they need to be able to activate an element's events individually (2.6.2) or altogether (2.6.3)

<scribe> ACTION: Greg to review history of 2.6.3 to determine inclusion in the document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-620 - Review history of 2.6.3 to determine inclusion in the document [on Greg Lowney - due 2011-09-29].

<KimPatch> Users can interact with web content by mouse, keyboard, voice input, gesture, or a combination of input methods. Users can discover what event handlers (e.g. onmouseover) are available at the element (2.6.1) and activate an element's events individually (2.6.2) or PLACEHOLDER (2.6.3)

greg...set uaag10 1.2 for origins

<kford> akim, agenda?

<KimPatch> Users can interact with web content by mouse, keyboard, voice input, gesture, or a combination of input methods. Users can discover what event handlers (e.g. onmouseover) are available at the element (2.6.1) and can activate an element's events individually (2.6.2) or PLACEHOLDER(2.6.3)

kf: we have 4 fewer summary items. We must finish IER, summary, and open issues

have 18 IERs, and 16 Summaries

kf: can we commit to 1 hr of writing a week.

kim: please assign them. will get done faster

jeanne - 2.6-2.10

greg - 2.11, 3.1- 3.3

Kim: is gone all next week. Kim will do 2.11

Mark: will work on IER for 2.11

kim: accessibility unconference on last saturday

js: good session on a11y in canadian broadcasting
... kp did session on what we could do to imporve access
... met with someone about mobile apps

I have confirmation of Wayne speaking to the group on Oct 13

joint PF meeting on Oct 6, topic We are of the view that UAAG should address how browsers inherit OS preferences related to accessibility, and would like to discuss the whys and hows with you. This request grows out of our discussions in response to an ARIA comment we recieved: http://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/Group/comments/details?comment_id=78#main

<kford> Scribe: Jim, Jan

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: Greg to review history of 2.6.3 to determine inclusion in the document [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to Add in "Users can search rendered content (2.4.1) forward or backward (2.4.2) and can have the matched content highlighted in the viewport (2.4.3). The user is notified if there is no match (2.4.4)." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: JS to Add summary "Users can use the keyboard to navigate sequentially (2.2.3) to all the operable elements (2.2.1) in the viewport as well as between viewports (2.2.2). Users can optionally disable wrapping or request a signal when wrapping occurs (2.2.4)." [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action02]
[NEW] ACTION: KF to Will review doc from top to bottom by Sept 29 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2011/09/22-ua-minutes.html#action01]
Received on Thursday, 22 September 2011 19:16:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 22 September 2011 19:16:53 GMT