W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > July to September 2009

Meeting Minutes: User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference 17 Sep 2009

From: Kelly Ford <Kelly.Ford@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:39:03 +0000
To: WAI-UA list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Message-ID: <3386240A0CB7B345B60441C3B253B2A104751D86@TK5EX14MBXW653.wingroup.windeploy.ntdev.microsoft.com>
[W3C]<http://www.w3.org/>

- DRAFT -
User Agent Accessibility Guidelines Working Group Teleconference
17 Sep 2009

See also: IRC log<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-irc>

Attendees
Present
Jim, Greg, Kelly, Simon, Jeanne, Mark
Regrets
Henny, Kim, Jan, David
Chair
Jim_allan
Scribe
kford
Contents

  *   Topics<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#agenda>
     *   Logistics (Regrets, agenda requests, comments)?<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#item01>
     *   Face to face - sign up and book hotel - http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#item02>
     *   beta W3 site - http://beta.w3.org. Activities listed at http://beta.w3.org/Consortium/activities.html<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#item03>
     *   Talk about Guideline 4.9 Provide control of content that may reduce accessibility.<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#item04>
     *   Think about techniques in preparation for F2F.<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#item05>
  *   Summary of Action Items<http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

________________________________





<trackbot> Date: 17 September 2009

- UAAG10 Techniques

http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/NOTE-UAAG10-TECHS-20021217/

- ATAG Techniques

http://www.w3.org/WAI/AU/2009/ED-ATAG20-TECHS-20090814/#gl-Web-based-accessi

ble

- WCAG20 Techniques http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20-TECHS/

<scribe> Scribe: kford
Logistics (Regrets, agenda requests, comments)?
Face to face - sign up and book hotel - http://www.w3.org/2009/11/TPAC/

Jim: Reminderif you are attending the F2F please sign up now.

Jeanne: Clarifies what registration is about.
beta W3 site - http://beta.w3.org. Activities listed at http://beta.w3.org/Consortium/activities.html

Jim: W3C has a new beta site. Please take a look.

Greg: I did take a look and it seemed buggy. I followed a link, hit back and there was twice as much content.
... Also, some of the headings changed text while I was viewing.

Probably best to use feedback link at the bottom of the page to report issues.

Jim: Note there's a big section on browsers and authoring tools.

Jeanne: We make it in user agents and accessibility.

Greg: They've chosen some items that make visual use hard. Sizes are small and underlining is problematic.
Talk about Guideline 4.9 Provide control of content that may reduce accessibility.

<AllanJ> http://www.w3.org/TR/UAAG20/#principle-operable

<Greg> 4.9 currently seems to be a catch-all for multimedia, scripting, plus a few other things like text scaling. It makes no sense to me.

Greg: Also expressed concerns related to ISO with current 4.9.

<Greg> Here are some possibly relevant success criteria from ISO 9241-171:

<Greg> * 8.2.7 Enable user control of timed responses

<Greg> * 10.1.2 Enable user control of time-sensitive presentation of information

<Greg> * 10.1.3 Provide accessible alternatives to task-relevant audio and video

<Greg> * 10.2.1 Enable users to adjust graphic attributes

<Greg> * 10.6.5 Control of background and other sound tracks

<Greg> * 10.6.7 Allow users to choose visual alternative for audio output

<Greg> * 10.6.8 Synchronize audio equivalents for visual events

<Greg> * 10.7 Text equivalents of audio (captions)

<Greg> * 10.8.1 Enable users to stop, start and pause

<Greg> * 10.8.2 Enable users to replay, rewind, pause and fast-or jump-forward

<Greg> * 10.8.3 Allow user to control presentation of multiple media streams

<Greg> * 10.8.4 Update equivalent alternatives for media when the media changes

Jeanne: One thing we've been looking at in ATAG is organizing around ways that are useful to people using guidelines. If we have this many multimedia maybe we need to separate?

Jim: We talked about this last week. Greg, isn't ISO arranged around functional criteria.

Greg: To some degree, sect 9 is input, sect. 10 is output for example.

Greg to show table of contents to e-mail list.

Jim: Seems this is the 2nd or 3rd time a restructure has come up.

Jeanne: I'd like to be clear that I don't think we should change the top level from WCAG. Within the broad sections we may want to organize.

Greg: We probably don't want to have something like text scaling in the multimedia section by and large.
... People looking for it won't find it there.

Jeanne: We've sometimes used 4.9 as a dumping ground. We should probably look at see if everything there still belongs.

Group talks more about what's in 4.9 and how it does/does not relate to multimedia.

Currently we have some stuff on Javascript and such.

Jim: When we put these in 4.9.4 was really don't just play a movie, start with some placeholder and let me decide when to start.

<AllanJ> KF: sort out execution. is the rest of 4.9 ok

More talk about execution and the multimedia. Questions around how this relates to html 5.MH: Looking at execution item, HTML has a concept of a poster frame. If you use the video element you have an author defined frame that sits there until you start the video.

<AllanJ> MH: HTML 5 uses 'poster frame' for 4.9.4 'execution placeholder'

MH: We should try and align with the HTML5 spec.

<scribe> ACTION: MH to square HTML5 with 4.9. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action01]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-226 - Square HTML5 with 4.9. [on Markku Hakkinen - due 2009-09-24].

Jim: Looking at 4.9F and 4.97. They sound the same to me.

<Greg> ANSI 200.2 10.1.2 Enable user control of time-sensitive presentation of information (Level 1)

<Greg> Whenever moving, blinking, scrolling, or auto-updating information other than simple progress indicators is presented, software should enable the user to pause or stop the presentation.

<Greg> 10.8.1 Enable users to stop, start and pause media (Level 1)

<Greg> Software should enable users to stop, start and pause the presentation.

<Greg> 10.8.2 Enable users to replay, rewind, pause and fast or jump forward (Level 2)

<Greg> Software should enable users to replay, rewind, pause and fast or jump forward the presentation, where appropriate to the task.

Group talks about clarification of navigation in multimedia.

MH: I think navigation in media now also means you need to navigate structurally, not just by time.

Greg: We have to be careful that we word this in such a way that this is around when the media content supports this structural navigation.

Jim: We we change 4.9.8 to only time concepts.
... We then create a new checkpoing around supporting structural.

MH: I think we try and support this all in one.
... You are starting to see this for example on youtube where you can jump to annotations or specific elements in the video.

<scribe> ACTION: MH to update 4.9.8 to reflect concepts of both time and structural navigation in media. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action02]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-227 - Update 4.9.8 to reflect concepts of both time and structural navigation in media. [on Markku Hakkinen - due 2009-09-24].

Group talking about how this impacts 4.6 and 4.7 with text search and structural navigation.

<AllanJ> issue: cross referencing text search, structured navigation, with media info

<trackbot> Created ISSUE-44 - Cross referencing text search, structured navigation, with media info ; please complete additional details at http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/tracker/issues/44/edit .

Greg: We previously talked about extending text search to talk about more than just text, but also other content like media and such where searchable content is now available.

<Greg> rendered text and/or (user's choice) alternative text

Jim: I don't think we ever came up with text to reflect this that has made it in the document.
... Wait, it is in 4..1.

Greg: It isn't clear that the user should be able to jump to the video that contains this text.

Jim: Reads example from 4.6.3 where he says this does support this.

Greg: From a techniques standpoint this is problematic.
... I bring up a web page but don't play the video. I search for Greg and it appears 15 minutes in the video.

Simon: I already have an action on me from earlier to update 4.6.

Jim: Can we remove 4.9.f becuase it is covered in 4.9.7?

<scribe> ACTION: Jeanne remove 4.9.f [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action03]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-228 - Remove 4.9.f [on Jeanne Spellman - due 2009-09-24].

MH: 4.9.f talks about paused media i.e. a paused state. Do we reference someplace else this paused state?

<AllanJ> ACTION: allanj to review Nice F2F minutes for clarity on 4.9.f Puaused mulimedia [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - allanj

<AllanJ> ACTION: jallan to review Nice F2F minutes for clarity on 4.9.f Paused multimedia [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-229 - Review Nice F2F minutes for clarity on 4.9.f Paused multimedia [on Jim Allan - due 2009-09-24].

<AllanJ> KF: need or desire for speeding up media.

Group talked about speeding up media. KFord gave example of reading books at faster rate of speech.

<AllanJ> MH: if you create slow down algorithm, then you have the speed up capability

<Greg> 10.6.4 Enable adjustment of audio output

<Greg> Software should enable users to adjust the attributes of task-relevant audio output such as frequency, speed and sound content.

Jim: We we want to rewrite 4.9.6 to include speed.

Group talks about technical ability to speed content up.

MH: Once you have the ability to slow, youhave the ability to speed, excluding live media.

<AllanJ> KF: difference between speed up and fast forward.

<AllanJ> ...3 concepts - 1 jump, 2 fast forward - no or little perception of what is going past, 3 speed up - content goes faster, and user can perceive

<AllanJ> ...1 jump, is skip to new point with no perception of intervening content

<AllanJ> KF: want a duplicate of 4.9.6 that addresses speed.

<scribe> ACTION: kford to create a guideline to address speeding up of media. Look at 4.9.6. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action06]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - kford

<scribe> ACTION: kford to create guideline similar to 4.9.6 for increasing media speed. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action07]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - kford

<Greg> ISO 10.6.5 Control of background and other sound tracks

<Greg> If the background and other sound layers are separate audio tracks/channels, software should provide a mechanism to enable users to control the volume of and/or turn on/off each audio track.

<scribe> ACTION: KFord write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action08]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - KFord

<Greg> NOTE Background sounds (e.g. sound effects, music) can mask speech audio or make speech audio more difficult to

<Greg> distinguish by those who are hard of hearing.

<Greg> EXAMPLE A person who is hard of hearing turns down the background sound so they can understand the dialogue

<jeanne> ACTION: kford to write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action09]

<trackbot> Sorry, couldn't find user - kford

<AllanJ> user needs ability to control which caption, audio, and descriptive video tracks are playing

<jeanne> ACTION: KF to write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action10]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-230 - Write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [on Kelly Ford - due 2009-09-24].

<Greg> The ISO success criterion is trying to be general and basically say "the user should be able to independently control any audio that can (technically) be separately controlled."

Group talking more about media with multiple tracks.

<AllanJ> ACTION: Jallan to create 4.9.x Track Enable/Disable of Time-Based Media [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action11]

<trackbot> Created ACTION-231 - Create 4.9.x Track Enable/Disable of Time-Based Media [on Jim Allan - due 2009-09-24].

More discussion of what tracks people should be able to get from media.

Just one language, maybe just audio.

<Greg> Suggest being more generic than just adjusting audio: someone blind or with low vandwidth connection might want to hide the video and only get the text and/or audio.
Think about techniques in preparation for F2F.

Jim: F2F is still six weeks out. Start to think about what we can do in preparation to be successful.
... Specifically, techniques.

Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: allanj to review Nice F2F minutes for clarity on 4.9.f Puaused mulimedia [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action04]
[NEW] ACTION: Jallan to create 4.9.x Track Enable/Disable of Time-Based Media [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action11]
[NEW] ACTION: jallan to review Nice F2F minutes for clarity on 4.9.f Paused multimedia [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action05]
[NEW] ACTION: Jeanne remove 4.9.f [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action03]
[NEW] ACTION: KF to write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action10]
[NEW] ACTION: kford to create a guideline to address speeding up of media. Look at 4.9.6. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action06]
[NEW] ACTION: kford to create guideline similar to 4.9.6 for increasing media speed. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action07]
[NEW] ACTION: kford to write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action09]
[NEW] ACTION: KFord write guideline on media speed like 4.9.6 [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action08]
[NEW] ACTION: MH to square HTML5 with 4.9. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: MH to update 4.9.8 to reflect concepts of both time and structural navigation in media. [recorded in http://www.w3.org/2009/09/17-ua-minutes.html#action02]

[End of minutes]



image001.png
(image/png attachment: image001.png)

Received on Thursday, 17 September 2009 18:39:53 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:52:15 GMT