W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2008

Minutes of User Agent Teleconference of June 12

From: Jeanne Spellman <jeanne@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 16:33:58 -0400
Message-ID: <48518836.9080501@w3.org>
To: WAI-UA list <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>


Minutes of the June 12 User Agent Working Group Meeting
http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-minutes.html

IRC Log at:
http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-irc

Summary of Action Items
ACTION: jeanne will write a proposal for keyboard shortcut visibility, 
review it with Judy, and circulate it to the list.
ACTION: Judy will follow-up with Rod Sinclair of AIA.

Text of Minutes follows:
W3C
User Agent Teleconference
12 Jun 2008

Agenda

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
    jeanne, AllanJ, Kelly, Judy
Regrets
    Jan_Richards, Simon_Harper, Alan Cantor
Chair
    Jim Allan
Scribe
    jeanne

Contents

    * Topics
    * Summary of Action Items

 

 

<AllanJ> Title: UAWG call

<scribe> agenda: 
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0131.html
Regrets, agenda requests, or comments to the list

JA: we were expecting Alan Cantor this week.
Assign a scribe

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

Surveys: Printing and UAAG and @alt

http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/36791/UAAG20080611/results

<AllanJ> Jim suggests preamble: A User Agent's purpose is to present 
author supplied content (including alternative content) written in a 
markup language to a user in a human readable form.

KF: Wording is consistent with the rest of documents.

<AllanJ> JS: makes sense, is needed

Resolved: Accept the Jan phrasing with the addition proposed by JA above.

Resolved: accept language for printing to the working draft
Keyboard access controls visibility

JA: reviewed keyboard proposal history, there is a proposal that was 
written on keyboard

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0042.html

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0042.html

JS: This proposal doesn't include the items we discussed last week: 
exposing the keyboard shortcuts, allowing users to remap shortcuts, 
shortcuts are persistent from session to session, remapped shortcuts can 
be imported and exported.

JB: There should not be an assumption that keyboard users are using 
assistive technology

KF: The discussion back in April, was JB satisfied with the technique 
used Office 2007 ribbon?

JB: the way that Microsoft was doing the visual indicators was good.

KF: We need to find the right language to guide people to the behavior 
that we want.

JB: Is this 4.1.1 supposed to include the visual indicator issues?

JA: No.

JB: So does 4.1.1 do what it should?

JA: The keyboard can be used for everything except drawing.

resolved: the wording of 4.1.1 will be put into the draft

JB: What's the status on the language for visual indicators

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008JanMar/0052.html

JA: All the words with asterisks are supposed to be defined in the glossary.

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008JanMar/0078.html

Above link is a list of keyboard commands and definitions

JB: There are a lot of links in the agenda mail.

JA: These are the same links.

KF: Propose that we revisit the whole keyboard section in order to 
insure quality.
... Collect all the information, put it up on the list, and have people 
commit to reading it so we can have a meaningful discussion.

JB: Can someone make a new proposal for next week? I will commit to 
commenting on-line.
... Or we can discuss it the following week.

KF: Can commit to delivering it to the meeting on the 26th.

JA: Not available for 3 weeks for vacation.

JB: Participation is down, and this is an issue that has generated 
interest in the past.
... more discussion on the list will result in increased quality of the 
language.

<scribe> ACTION: jeanne will write a proposal for keyboard, review it 
with Judy, and circulate it to the list. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-minutes.html#action01]
Summer Schedule

JA: will miss Jun 19, 26, and Jul 3rd meetings.

JB: Do we have any other major issues?

JA: Video and DOM issues

JB: In the CG meeting it was discussed that the DOM issue was timely.
... Will follow up with Rod Sinclair of AIA on contributing. He is a 
liaison between AIA and W3C.

<scribe> ACTION: Judy will follow-up with Rod Sinclair of AIA. [recorded 
in http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-minutes.html#action02]

JA: We want some contribution of expertise from the ARIA group. How the 
javascript writes to the DOM and repair.

JB: Let's skip next week, as both JA and JB are unavailable. That gives 
time to make a focused proposal for keyboard shortcuts.
... then we can work on keyboard shortcuts on the next meeting.
... Have to finalize the charter.
... Harmonization of glossary with ATAG.
... Test Suite

KF: What do we have to do to update the dates on the new charter?

JB: It is helpful to have an up-to-date forward view of timeline.
... they can be adjusted as they go forward, but it should strive to be 
accurate.
... Once it is done in the WG, then they are sent to W3M for review, 
then it goes to ??? for a month of review.

<KFord> can we put a link to our current charter in the meeting notes?

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2008/draft_uawg_charter_25apr08.html

JB: JS will work on the proposal for keyboard language. JA will assist.

JB is reviewing the charter information and will be giving feedback next 
week.

JA will be available until Thursday 19th.

JB: no meeting on 19. 26th meeting will have discussion on Keyboard 
proposal. Proposal is placed on the list no later than 23.
... tentative meeting on 3. Finish the entire keyboard discussion on 
July 10.
... will run by the Access Board.
... the DOM discussion is more timely than video. We should restart 
discussion on that in parallel.

Start it on July 10 with material prepared before the meeting.

Jim is back on the 7th.

JB: There is still recruitment we need to do before that. The video 
isn't as timely.

JA: We got all the input we needed on video. We did a lot of work on it 
already.

JB: Keyboard issues will be primary on the agenda until it is complete. 
We can have video as a secondary issue.
... then we can focus on DOM.

JA: Should we be working on TEchniques?

JB: We need to look at all the deliverables, techniques, test suite, 
etc, and prioritize.

KF: Propose that by July 24 we have a clear list of all the work that 
needs to be accomplished and the dates in which they should be delivered.

JB: the charter doesn't list all the other deliverables that we are 
responsible for.
... look at SCope: Test Materials should be called "Test Suite". It 
needs to be in the Milestones.

ADJOURNED
Summary of Action Items
[NEW] ACTION: jeanne will write a proposal for keyboard, review it with 
Judy, and circulate it to the list. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-minutes.html#action01]
[NEW] ACTION: Judy will follow-up with Rod Sinclair of AIA. [recorded in 
http://www.w3.org/2008/06/12-ua-minutes.html#action02]
 
[End of minutes]
Received on Thursday, 12 June 2008 20:34:38 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:51:57 GMT