W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > April to June 2008

Minutes 15 May 2008

From: Jim Allan <jimallan@tsbvi.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 14:25:39 -0500
To: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
Message-ID: <016e01c8b6c1$77b3e200$671ba600$@edu>

http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html 


Action Items:
GR send the scribing tips to Jeanne who will combine it with some other
instructions. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action02]

GR will post information on the Test Suite. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action05]

GR will re-examine CSS 2.1 on flow. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action04]

GR will take back to the HTML group. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action01]

JR will draft a definition of "passive reflow" [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action03]

Draft Minutes
15 May 2008

See also: IRC log
Attendees

Present
Regrets
Chair
    Jim Allan
Scribe
    jeanne

Contents

    * Topics
         1. next week meeting
         2. F2F
         3. scribing
         4. future directions:
         5. printing
    * Summary of Action Items

 

 

<AllanJ> Title: UAWG telecon

<AllanJ> Agenda:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0099.html and
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0106.html

<oedipus> www.freedomchat.org

<AllanJ> http://www.student.oulu.fi/~vtatila/iamc.html

JA: HTML group wants to see "MUST" in the access module.

GR: HTML group says over-riding key bindings are a MUST.

<KFord> What's the syntax to put myself on the queue?

JB: SHOULD, SHALL and MUST are policy/procedure words. Judy wants to look at
this more carefully.

JA: The items in question are P2 which would be "should" by WCAG1.
... we haven't used that before. Makes it difficult for the developer to
know what to code to.

JR: Only use MUST when there is no reasonible exception to the rule.

GR: Correct, they think there is no exception.

<oedipus> http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2119.txt

KF: I'm not ok with MUST. I can't make this an absolute.

GR: XHTML2 WG is not negotiating on this.

??: Does this draft now go to public comment? Can we provide feedback to
that?

JB: THey are enforcing a higher level of accessibility than UAAG?

<AllanJ> propose Access module wording -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0100.html

It is their spec.

JA: We reviewed their spec and make our comments and cross-referenced the
dependencies to our UAAG 1.0 checkpoints.
... We re-wrote it based on our understanding of the language. They came
back to a higher priority.

JB: It would be a good cross-group courtesy to work this out before it goes
to LC.
... it could be useful to invite cross-group discussion so that our
priorities can be synchonized. It could be difficult to coordinate
time-wise.

GR: the main editor is not available for meeting today. They like the idea
of "persistent over session"
... we need to define what we mean by session. It is in the WAI glossary,
which is out-dated.

JA: Can we just put a period after "persist"?

<AllanJ> old: If no key attribute is specified, the user agent SHOULD assign
a key and

<AllanJ> alert the user to the key mapping and the resultant user agent
assigned

<AllanJ> key SHOULD persist across sessions.

GR: That wording leaves it open for sites that want to give user session
options.

<AllanJ> new: If no key attribute is specified, the user agent SHOULD assign
a key and

<AllanJ> alert the user to the key mapping and the resultant user agent
assigned

<AllanJ> key SHOULD persist.

KF: In a public environment, you may not want the key to persist.

JA: Sometime when we go to write techniques, we can give examples of writing
it to a cookie, or other techniques.

KF: If you have done something for accessibility, it should be implemented.
It is open to enough interpretation that the user agent development
community should have the flexibility they need.

vote: KF: yes. GR: yes. JR: yes. JB: yes. JA:yes. JS:yes

<scribe> ACTION: GR will take back to the HTML group. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action01]

JB: Wants link to mailing archive for this discussion from the HTML group.
next week meeting

Jim is away next week. Judy recommends skipping one week and planning a
meeting for the following week.
F2F

JA: Want to discuss now because there deadlines coming up.

JB: Tech Plenary and TPAC in France around October 29. Good opportunity for
meeting.

JA: Another option is ATAG is meeting in Redmond, WA in July 25, 26. Tuesday
it was asked: Could we have a UAAG meeting at same time?

KF: if we have the meeting scheduled in France, do we need another?

JB: It can be an advantage. With it scheduled for July, it could be good
timing. We don't want to overwhelm hosting.
... Another possibility would be another host in the same town. Or meet
somewhere else before October.

KF: Could get an official answer by ...

JA: When KF finds out, he will send an email.
scribing

JB: Who else is able to scribe?

Jan, Jim, Gregory (once a month), Jeanne

Kelly is willing, but doesn't know how to do it.

JB: There are scribing tips we can distribute. We can set up a scribe
rotation.

GR: Has a scribe

<scribe> ACTION: GR send the scribing tips to Jeanne who will combine it
with some other instructions. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action02]
future directions:

<AllanJ> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2008AprJun/0072.html

JA: We need to work on these topics (printing, keyboard access, UA and
Video) and work them out on the email list.
printing

<AllanJ> SC: 3.11.X Print Scale: If a print from viewport feature is
provided,

<AllanJ> the user has the option of printing using the viewport's scale
settings

<AllanJ> such that the user agent should attempt to *passively reflow* the

<AllanJ> content into the horizontal dimensions of paper. If passive reflow
is

<AllanJ> not possible, more than one sheet of paper will be required
horizontally.

JA: JR proposed removing "pieces of paper".
... we need a new definition of "passively reflowing"

KF: "print" is too restrictive, it doesn't include embossing.

JB: propose "printing and embossing" to keep it from getting too obscure.

JR: Does embossing horizontally cross two pages?

GR: "Paged media" is too cryptic. Most user agents don't print directly to
an embosser, they use another AT software to do the embossing.

JB: Does it make sense to say "printing" and define it elsewhere? Or the
first time it is used also include embossing?

KF: When you send to an embosser, the embosser software does the reflow. The
user agent doesn't have anything to do with it.
... Leave it as is and include a note that some printing from user agent may
include providng information to other technologies for production in
alternative media."

GR: if you print something and it is too big for the page, it still needs to
go somewhere and not be lost.

JA: When I print from my browser, some text is lost off the right of the
page.

<AllanJ> jeanne: also an authoring problem, if css used properly it will
reflow, if not printing breaks

JA: Still need to define passive reflow. Any ideas on a definition?

action JR will draft a definition

scribe: of passive reflow

<scribe> ACTION: JR will draft a definition of "passive reflow" [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action03]

JR: Horizontal flow, do we also need to consider vertical flow to
accommodate the direction of the language flow.

<scribe> ACTION: GR will re-examine CSS 2.1 on flow. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action04]

<scribe> ACTION: GR will post information on the Test Suite. [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2008/05/15-ua-minutes.html#action05]

<AllanJ> -q

JA: CSS has language tags for left and right, but I have never seen anything
for vertical.

JB: I18l can fill us in on any requirements for print direction.

JR: There is language that is appropriate.

JA: What's the success criteria?

<AllanJ> +1 level 1

GR: PR 1. Many examples of people who need it.

KF: we need to think about the process of assigning priorities rather than
throwing out use cases.

JA: table this to two weeks.

<scribe> scribe: jeanne

Jim Allan, Webmaster & Statewide Technical Support Specialist
Texas School for the Blind and Visually Impaired
1100 W. 45th St., Austin, Texas 78756
voice 512.206.9315    fax: 512.206.9264  http://www.tsbvi.edu/
"We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us." McLuhan, 1964
Received on Thursday, 15 May 2008 19:29:23 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:51:57 GMT