Fwd: Comments On SVG 1.2

WWW: http://cita.rehab.uiuc.edu/
WWW: http://www.staff.uiuc.edu/~jongund

Forwarded message 1

  • From: Will Pearson <will-pearson@tiscali.co.uk>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 16:42:19 -0000
  • Subject: Comments On SVG 1.2
  • To: "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>
  • Cc: "Matt May" <mcmay@w3.org>
Hi Jon;

Here's some comments on SVG 1.2, and the portions of 1.1 that will be incorperated into 1.2.  I've written them in a style close to guidelines/recommendations of what uas should do to in order to make the image accessible.  I've taken a slightly different view to one entirely based on semantics and alternate content, the SVG format doesn't include enough of that to make it a viable option.  Also, I've had to suggest new keyboard navigation models, as the 'focusable' attribute introduced into 1.2 could result in a lot of the document being inaccessible.  Apart from that, it's quite a good, although lengthy, spec in terms of accessibility.  The 1.1 spec, under section 16.7 already covers magnification, and so I saw no need to replicate that, as it's not superceeded in 1.2.

If you want to distribute it prior to the call later, then that's up to you, as I'm not subscribed to the ua list and can't do it myself.  It's about four pages, and it might be worthwhile giving people a chance to read it first.

Thanks,

Will