Re: Proposed resolution to Issue 549

From: Jim Ley <jim@jibbering.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:18:25 +0100
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, "Jon Gunderson" <jongund@uiuc.edu>
Cc: <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>

"Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
> Jon Gunderson wrote:
> > Allow configuration to render animated or blinking text content as
> > motionless, unblinking text. Blinking text is text whose visual
> > rendering changes the foreground and/or background colors (i.e.
> > typically to make the text invisible or visible), at any rate of
change.

> This checkpoint is primarily for users with photosensitive epilepsy.
> I don't know whether changing colors (e.g., green to light green to
> blue to red foreground color) has any impact on these users.
>
> I would not wish to broaden the checkpoint unless we know
> that these users are adversely affected by general color changes.

Is blinking text distinct from animation, I had considered it the same,
with the above more specific point clarifying and re-enforcing it for
those people with photo-sensitive epilepsy ?  I almost universally stop
all blinking text (including colour change) because it's very distracting,
and I would find it difficult to access the non-blinking content on the
page where some other content "flashed". (I'd have to kill it, or position
my viewport such that the animation wasn't relevant.)

Flashing between my own colours in my stylesheet is just as bad as any
other colours, so I don't feel the css requirement covers it.

Jim.