Re: Proposed resolution to Issue 547

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:52:48 -0700
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> I propose the following changes to Provision 1 of Checkpoint 1.2 to
> limit the range of event handlers to those that can be activated through
> the user interface:
>
> Old:
> "Allow the user to activate, through keyboard input alone, all event
> handlers that are explicitly associated with the element designated by
> the content focus. "
>
> New:
> "All event handlers that can be triggered through user input devices
> (i.e. onMouseOver, onMouseOut, onFocus, onBlur... ) must include at
> least one activation method through the keyboard."

I suggest we not modify the checkpoint this way, but just
add the "input device" part that was inadvertently left out:

   "Allow the user to activate, through keyboard input alone, all
   input device event handlers that are explicitly associated with
   the element designated by the content focus."

That's all that's needed, in my opinion. This was just a bug.

  _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447