Re: [Clarifications] Content focus, Visual Text

Jim Ley wrote:
> "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
>
>>[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20020708/
>>
>>1) Checkpoint 9.1 starts:
>>
>>    "1. Provide at least one content focus for each viewport
>>    (including frames) where enabled elements are part of the
>>    rendered content."
>

> Tom Gilder raised in wai-ig the fact that the above also needs to cover
> elements with CSS overflow property set to produce scrollbars - the
> element with the scrollbars needs to be able to recieve focus - Mozilla
> currently does not make these elements accessible, and IE requires the use
> of the proprietary tabindex extension as an author.
>
> I propose changing "including frames" to "including frames, and any
> element which can be scrolled" (or similar)

I suspect that what you are asking for is already covered:

  * You must be able to move the content focus to any
    enabled element. Whether you consider the scrolled
    element as part of the same or different viewport,
    checkpoint 9.1 as written covers what you're asking
    for.

  * If you are talking about operating the scrollbars
    themselves through the keyboard, that's covered
    by checkpoint 1.1.

Does this sound correct?

  _ Ian

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447