Re: Comment: Checkpoint 1.1

Jon Gunderson wrote:
> Ian,
>
> The note on checkpoint 1.1 makes it sound like mouse keys can be used to
> conform to the keyboard input requirement.  We don't want to imply
> that.  I think it should be clearer that user agents need to be
> compatible with mouse keys, but that supporting mousekeys does not
> satisfy the conformance requirements for checkpoint 1.1 for keyboard
> access.

The UAWG resolved that it would not impose that all keyboard
access be through direct access. Therefore, 1.1 allows a mix
of:

  1) Direct access (e.g., "F1" pulls up help)
  2) Sequential access that is not through two-dimensional
     space (e.g., navigation through cascading menus)
  3) Spatial access (e.g., for drawing functionalities).

Later in the document we have single-key requirements for
some functionalities. But for the rest, we do not require
that access be available through just one of the
above three modes. Consequently, it is my understanding
that we agreed that mouse keys was far from ideal for
satisfying this checkpoint, but for some input (e.g.,
drawing), it would be better than actually moving a mouse
around a desktop).

Are you suggesting that mouse keys would *never* be
acceptable as part of satisfying 1.1? I think that's different
from our resolution. The Note reads:

"User agents should allow direct keyboard access where possible, and
this may be redundant with spatial input techniques. Furthermore,
the user agent should satisfy this requirement by offering a
combination of keyboard-operable user interface controls (e.g.,
keyboard operable print menus and settings) and direct keyboard
operation of user agent functionalities (e.g., a short cut to print
the current page)."

Do you have other text to propose?

_ Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2001/08/issues-20010830#514

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447