Re: SMIL Help

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 13:54:58 -0500 (EST)
To: "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>
cc: Raheel Ahmad Khan <raakhan@ic.sunysb.edu>, <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>
in HTML 4 I believe that you can specify the player to be used for a given
object, but I don't think it is required. You should be able to specify the
data source, and type, and have your browser find you a player if it has one.

chaals

On Wed, 6 Feb 2002, Ian B. Jacobs wrote:

  Raheel Ahmad Khan wrote:

  > Hello
  >
  > I am having another problem with SMIL.  With internet explorer, you have
  > to use the object tag for the browser to play the smil file with the
  > specified player.  However, I want to know if there is any option where
  > the internet explorer doesn't specify a file and opens up the smil file in
  > any player that is capable of playing SMIL files.  A quick reply would be
  > greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

  I am unaware of ways to author content where the author
  specifies what piece of software should be used to render
  something at the other end.

  Thus, I interpret your question to be about IE options,
  and for those questions I suggest that you consult
  the IE documentation.

    _ Ian