Macular degeneration and color

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Apr 2002 17:13:37 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
From:
     http://www.eyeassociates.com/images/understanding_the_visual_problem.htm

"The macula has the highest concentration of cones, the cells that provide
color vision.Thus
with the degeneration of the macula, it results in damage to the cone color
cells. Patient still
see color but color perception may become more and more impaired in
advanced macular
degeneration."

That does not suggest that we cannot use color, just that discrimination among
small color changes may be lost. Nor do I read that to suggest that just
black and white is
appropriate, but that gray-scale differentiation is still useful.

I wonder if perceived brightness for different colors is consistent across
different manifestations
of macular degeneration?  Are there better choices (such as color opposites)?

If there are any universal recommendations here on perception of gray scale
vs color, we should
include them, at least by reference.

Regards/Harvey Bingham