Re: Contradictory/confusing requirements wording

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 12:33:21 -0500
To: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
CC: "Hansen, Eric" <ehansen@ets.org>, "'aaronl@netscape.com'" <aaronl@netscape.com>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Charles McCathieNevile wrote:

> Maybe we could make the conformance stuff cleaner and tighter.
>
> If the user agent doesn't have to conform to all devices, does it still have
> to provide keyboard support. (In other words, is it OK to build a user agent
> that conforms for pointing devices but not keyboard?)

No, you can't conform if you don't have keyboard support.
That's why it says in 3.1:

  "In order to conform conditionally
   (or unconditionally) a user agent must be fully
   operable through the keyboard, and must satisfy the input device
   requirements of this document for the keyboard."

> If so, then the answer is "Yes, you have to do all this". If not then I think
> we have a problem.
>
> But in any case, I don't have a problem with talking about conformance in one
> checkpoint only, especially this one...

Personally, I would prefer not to. And I still don't think it's
necessary if we put a little intro about conformance
at the beginning of Section 2.

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842