RE: Conditional versus Optional: Preliminary Observations

I don't think we need to mention the authors intent in the definition.  I
think we say that it is content the author provides that will be rendered
given a certain set of circumstances that include user agent capabilities,
user perferences and the bandwidth of the informational exchange.

Jon