Issue 364: Request to review decision to add plug-ins to checkpoint 3.5

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 21:34:35 -0500
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hello,

At the AOL ftf meeting, we decided for issue 364 [1] to add
"plug-in" to checkpoint 3.5. From the 29 Dec draft [2]:

    3.5 Allow the user to configure the user agent
    not to execute scripts or applets. In this
    configuration, provide an option to alert the user
    when scripts or applets are available.

I am not sure about this.

As I understand it, a plug-in is a software module that
the user has chosen to install as part of the user agent
(to provide some specific services).

This differs from an applet or a script that is part of
author-supplied content.

If a plug-in causes accessibility problems,
the user can always remove it. I think that checkpoint 3.5
is about controlling programmatic content supplied by the
author.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/2000/11/minutes-20001116#issue-364
[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20001229/
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842