Revision to the definition of 'Element'

From: Hansen, Eric <ehansen@ets.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 17:15:59 -0400
To: "UA List (E-mail)" <w3c-wai-ua@w3.org>, "Ian Jacobs (E-mail)" <ijacobs@w3.org>
I wanted to make sure that our definition of "Element" adequately covers our
usage in definitions such as "Text element". Is our usage as a "logical
construct" or something else? I think it as a "unit of content" rather than
necessarily being tied to particular "type of content". For example, a
"multimedia presentation" might be considered an element, but also might its
visual track or even a text equivalent of a visual track might be considered
"elements".

Your comments welcome.

Old (29 September 2000):

"Element This document uses the term "element" both in the XML sense (an
element is a syntactic construct as described in the XML 1.0 specification
[XML], section 3) and more generally to mean a type of content (such as
video or sound) or a logical construct (such as a header or list)."

New:

"Element This document uses the term "element" both in the XML sense (an
element is a syntactic construct as described in the XML 1.0 specification
[XML], section 3) and more generally to mean a unit of content (text element
or non-text element) or a logical construct (such as a header or list)."

<END OF MEMO>