Minor revisions to 'Equivalent' and 'Text content'

Following are what I believe are minor revisions to 'Equivalent' and 'Text
content'.

Suggestion 1: Revise the definition of Equivalent.

Old (19 October 2000 revision):

> <<**Equivalents include text equivalents (e.g., short and long text
> equivalents for images; text transcripts for audio tracks;
> collated text
> transcripts for multimedia presentations and animations) and non-text
> equivalents (e.g., a prerecorded auditory description of a
> visual track of a
> movie, or a sign language video rendition of a written text,
> etc.). (See
> definitions of _text equivalent and non-text equivalent_.**>>

New:

> <<**Equivalents include text equivalents, (e.g., <<DELETED "short and long
text
> equivalents for images;**>>" text transcripts for audio tracks;
> collated text
> transcripts for multimedia presentations and animations) and non-text
> equivalents (e.g., a prerecorded auditory description of a
> visual track of a
> movie, or a sign language video rendition of a written text,
> etc.). (See
> definitions of _text equivalent and non-text equivalent_.**>>

Comment 1:

The reason for this change is that I would rather not get boxed in or have
others be boxed in as to whether long or short text equivalents are distinct
text equivalents or that they are part of the same text equivalent).

Suggestion 2: Revise the definition of 'Text content'.

This version reflects the changes suggested yesterday plus adds a few more.
Not every single change is annotated as such.

New:

Text content, non-text content, text element, non-text element, text
equivalent, non-text equivalent

In this document, the term "text element" refers to content that is
understandable in each of three specific modes when presented to their
respective reference disability group:

1. visually-displayed text, for users who are deaf and adept in reading
visually-displayed text;
2. synthesized speech, for users who are blind and adept in use of
synthesized speech;
3. braille, for users who are deaf-blind and adept at reading braille.

In these definitions, the content is said to be "understandable" when it
fulfills its essential communication function (see the definition of
Equivalent). Furthermore, these definitions make assumptions such as the
availability of appropriate hardware and software, that content represents a
general mix of purposes (information, education, entertainment, commerce),
that the individuals in the groups are able to understand the natural
language of the content but that they are not experts in computer science,
etc.

A text element may contain markup for style (e.g., font size or color),
structure (e.g., heading levels), and other semantics. However, the
essential function of the text element should be retained even if _style_
information is ignored in rendering. In this document, the term "text
content" refers to content that is composed of one or more text elements. A
"non-text element" is an element that fails to be understandable when
rendered in any of three modes to their respective reference groups. Thus, a
text element has important accessibility advantages often associated with
"text" while a non-text element lacks one or more such advantages.

In this document, the term "non-text content" refers to content that is
composed of one or more non-text elements. Per checkpoint 1.1 of "Web
Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0" [WCAG10], authors must provide a text
equivalent for every author-supplied non-text element. Similarly, user agent
developers must provide a text equivalent for every non-text element
produced by the user agent for the user (refer to checkpoint 1.5).

Note that the terms "text element" and "non-text element" are defined by the
characteristics of their output (rendering) rather than those of their
input. For example, in principle, a text element can be generated or encoded
in any fashion as long as it has the proper output characteristics. In
general, text elements are composed of text (i.e., a sequence of
characters). Both text elements and non-text elements should be understood
as "pre-rendering" content in contrast to the "post-rendering" content that
it produces (visually-displayed text, synthesized speech, braille).

A "text equivalent" is a text element that, when rendered, serves
essentially the same function as some other content (i.e., an equivalency
target) does for a person without any disability (see definition of
equivalent).

====

Some of the latest changes to "Equivalent" are as follows:

Comment 1:

I used the term "reference" more often than it appeared in the last
revision.

Comment 2:

I made reference to semantics in discussing markup and reordered the kinds
of markup.

Comment 3:

In the paragraph that includes "in principle", the example is corrected to
refer to "text element" rather that "text equivalent".

Comment 4:

I added the comment about mix of purposes. I think that mentioning this is
important because we are not talking about just one narrow kind of
information purpose.

Comment 5:

To keep this material in perspective, I would like our definitions to be
flexible enough and  precise enough so that if we ever prescribed some other
kind of equivalent, such as a 'picture equivalents' for certain kinds of
non-picture content or 'sign language video equivalents' for certain kinds
of non-sign-language elements, that the system would allow those
requirements to be added. In saying this, I am not necessarily advocating
that we do these things now. I just would like the framework to be robust
and flexible.