Proposed simplification of checkpoint 8.7

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 13:10:27 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Hello,

In the 29 September draft  [1], checkpoint 8.7 reads:

  8.7 Provide a mechanism for highlighting and identifying
      (through a standard interface where available) the
      current viewport, selection, and content focus.

I'd like to propose the following simplification:

<NEW>
  8.7 Provide a mechanism for highlighting the
      current viewport, selection, and content focus.
</NEW>

Here's why:

1) I'm not sure what "identification" means. I think it
   means "provide a selection mechanism", which is covered
   by checkpoint 8.6

2) The new version of 8.7 is only about highlighting through
   the UI. Checkpoints 5.4 and 5.5 cover communication of selection
   and focus information through an API. Checkpoint 5.4 covers
   the "standard interface" requirement.

Therefore, I think the change simplifies 8.7 and all requirements
are still covered.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20000929
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842