Re: Proposed simplification of checkpoint 8.7

From: Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM <schwer@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 12:40:19 -0500
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Ian,

I agree that your wording is better. In this case less is more.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM Accessibility Center
Research Division
EMail/web: schwer@us.ibm.com

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -
I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference.",
Frost

Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>@w3.org on 10/11/2000 12:10:27 PM

Sent by:  w3c-wai-ua-request@w3.org

To:   w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
cc:
Subject:  Proposed simplification of checkpoint 8.7

Hello,

In the 29 September draft  [1], checkpoint 8.7 reads:

  8.7 Provide a mechanism for highlighting and identifying
      (through a standard interface where available) the
      current viewport, selection, and content focus.

I'd like to propose the following simplification:

<NEW>
  8.7 Provide a mechanism for highlighting the
      current viewport, selection, and content focus.
</NEW>

Here's why:

1) I'm not sure what "identification" means. I think it
   means "provide a selection mechanism", which is covered
   by checkpoint 8.6

2) The new version of 8.7 is only about highlighting through
   the UI. Checkpoints 5.4 and 5.5 cover communication of selection
   and focus information through an API. Checkpoint 5.4 covers
   the "standard interface" requirement.

Therefore, I think the change simplifies 8.7 and all requirements
are still covered.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20000929
Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842