Re: "Primary Content" and "Equivalent Alternative"

"Hansen, Eric" wrote:

> From: Eric Hansen
> To: UA List
> Re: "Primary Content" and "Equivalent Alternative"
>
> This memo proposes eliminating the terms the "primary content" and
> "equivalent alternative" from the document and modifying checkpoints 2.1 and
> 2.3 and some definitions. Other changes (i.e., outside the checkpoints and
> the definitions) should be able to be revised editorially.
>
> I appreciate the comment of Gregory, Kynn, Harvey, Al, Jon, Charles, Ian,
> and others to commented on the issues covered herein.

[snip]

> Suggestion 2: In the glossary, define the term "equivalent" rather than
> "equivalent alternatives".
>
> The term "equivalent alternatives", to my mind, is a term that has all the
> problems of the term "primary content" plus more. The phrase takes two terms
> and are loaded with meaning but the meaning of the result is undefined. I
> will not go into detail on this since I have already done so in great detail
> elsewhere. References [10] and [11] are just one tip of the iceberg.

I have also deleted "equivalent alternative" from the rest of the
document.

> ====
>
> Suggestion 3: Fix checkpoint 2.3.

Ok.

> Suggestion 4: Fix checkpoint 2.1.
>
> This revised checkpoint uses the more precise term "equivalent" as opposed
> to the less well-defined term "equivalent alternative".
>
> Old (1 September 2000):
>
> 2.1 Make all content available through the user interface. [Priority 1]
> Note: Users must have access to the entire document object through the user
> interface, including equivalent alternatives for content, attributes, style
> sheets, etc. This checkpoint does not require that all content be available
> in every viewport. A document source view is part of a solution for
> providing access to content, but is not a sufficient solution on its own for
> all content. Refer to guideline 5 for more information about programmatic
> access to content.
>
> New:
>
> 2.1 Make all content available through the user interface. [Priority 1]
> Note: Users must have access to the entire document object through the user
> interface, including recognized equivalents, attributes, style sheets, etc.
> This checkpoint does not require that all content be available in every
> viewport. A document source view is an essential part of a solution for
> providing access to content, but is not sufficient for all content. Refer to
> guideline 5 for more information about programmatic access to content.

Ok.

> Comment 1:
>
> The revision also makes a few other changes. For example, it makes clearer
> that document view is not optional.

I don't agree with that change and therefore will change "eesential" to
"important". If you make it a "must" level requirement, it belongs in
the
checkpoint, not the note. I disagree with a new requirement at this
point
to provide a document source view.

> Comment 2:
>
> The revision alludes to the idea that some things equivalents may not be
> recognized. This change is probably not extremely high in importance.

Ok.

Thanks Eric!

 - Ian