Re: Checkpoint 4.6: question about "rewind"

Al Gilman wrote:

> What about the controls that one gets with QuickTime, RealPlayer, and
> Windows Media Player?  Is there a common core of tape-like functions?  If
> there is a central tendency among the available players that meets our
> needs, we should align our definition with that, not just invent one.

Windows Media player offers both: rewind a little, rewind to the
beginning
(according to the help documentation)

RealPlayer offers rewind a little (but there is buffering).
To go back to the beginning, you stop the stream, then hit play.

QuickTime player on Windows offers three functionalities
(for both forward and reverse directions):

 a) Back to beginning/end
 b) Step back/forward
 c) Fast reverse/forward.

Since the "fast reverse" functionality is implemented by at
least these three tools, I think we should change checkpoint 4.6
to read "start, stop, pause, resume, fast advance, and
fast rewind audio, video, and animations".

We can define "fast advance" and "fast rewind" in the techniques
document and say, for example, that the speed of the advance/rewind
may vary based on how long the user requests it, etc.

 - Ian

P.S. I would like to find more implementation information on
audio and animation support.