Re: Checkpoint 4.6: question about "rewind"

At 01:58 PM 2000-08-29 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,

[...]
>I propose that "rewind to the beginning" be changed
>back to "rewind", since I believe the intent of the WG
>was to have VCR-type controls.

I agree that "rewind to the beginning" is probably not the best statement
of the function required.  I believe that the term "rewind" by itself could
be misinterpreted in this regard as being satisfied by a reset to the
beginning of the program, so the text of the Recommendation should, close
to the statement of the checkpoint if not in it, spell out that this
requires progressive but rapid movement of the 'current' index point within
the nominal play time axis of the program, and not simply an indivisible
leap to the initial point.

As I understand what you are saying, you mean 'rewind' to be a synonym for
"fast reverse" and not "reset to the beginning."  In fast reverse the
'current' pointer into nominal play time moves back toward the beginning at
a fixed high rate and the play can be resumed from any prior point in the
playlist or SMIL composite by using this function for the right length of
time.

On a physical tape medium, there is no way to reset to the beginning except
as the limiting case of "fast reverse."  The words used as text equivalents
for the "<<" function may vary between players.

When the current pointer is just an index into a dataset or random access
secondary storage, either a rapid sweep back to the starting point or an
instantaneous jump there is possible.  Because the instantaneous reset is
an option in our technology, we have to be clear about what we want.

I believe that for a digital talking book the "fast reverse" function is
viewed as a basic requirement.

What about the controls that one gets with QuickTime, RealPlayer, and
Windows Media Player?  Is there a common core of tape-like functions?  If
there is a central tendency among the available players that meets our
needs, we should align our definition with that, not just invent one.

Al