Re: Refinements and additions to minimum set of functions for single command checkpoint

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> These are refinements and additions to the minimum functions proposed by
> Kitch[1] for single command functions.

Hi Jon,

I mostly agree with this list. My comments below.
Checkpoints are numbered according to the 7 July draft [1]

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20000707

> For hypertext documents:
> 1. Move focus to next active element

Yes, this is a P1 requirement (7.3)

> 2. Move focus to previous active element

No, this is only a P2 requirement (7.4)

> 3. Select link

Change "select" to "activate".

> 4. Change state of control with focus (checkbox, radio group)

I don't agree with this one. Also, there are some controls
that require more than one keystroke to change (e.g.,
an HTML text box).

> 5. Move to previous resource in history list (back function)

Yes, this supposes a history mechanism, which is subject
to applicability.

> 6. Move to next resource in history list (forward function)

Yes.

> 7. Refresh current resource

Yes.

> 8. Move next piece of content into the current viewport (Page Down)

Instead: move the start of the viewport in content
to the current end of the viewport. The abstract notion of page depends
on the dimensions of the viewport. Note that for viewports without
dimension, page down means nothing (and I think the above description
still works).

> 9. Move previous piece of content into the current viewport (Page Up)

Adjust comments from 8.

> 10. Move next line of content into the current viewport (Down Arrow)

A line in this sense is an artifact of a graphical rendering. If
we require it, we should note that it's for graphical (and perhaps
tactile) user agents.

> 11. Move previous line of content into the current viewport (Down Arrow)

Same.

> 12. Search for text

Ok.

> 13. Search again for same text

Ok. The distinction from 12 is that the user isn't required to
enter the same text again.

> 14. Stop loading resource

Ok.

> 15. Go to history list

I don't think this is a P1 requirement, as long as you
can serially navigate the history (required above).

> 16. Add current resource to favorites list

I don't think this is a P1 requirement for single key access.
I would note that applicability also kicks in here for those
UAs that don't offer a favorites list.

> 17. Go to favorites list

I don't think this is a P1 requirement for single key access.

> 18. Increase font size

For graphical UAs only.

> 19 Decrease font size

Same.

> 20. Open new resource

I understand this to mean allow the user to select a resource either
by typing the URI OR by allowing the user to select piecemeal the
path to the resource. It should be made clear which is meant.

> For multi-media:
> 1. Start playing

Start playing from the start or from where the presentation has
been paused. I presume this means for the selected media object.

> 2. Stop playing

stop playing and the next start will start from the beginning.

> 3. Fast forward

Ok

> 4. Rewind

Ok

> 5. Pause

Ok.

> 6. Increase volume

Global volume, I presume. Or does this mean the selected audio
object?

> 7. Decrease volume

Ok.