Re: List of questions to AT developers

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> 1. Do you plan to use or are you using some type of structured tree model
> of WWW materials to improve access to the materials through your assistive
> technology?

I'm not sure I understand this one. Does this mean: do you require
information from another user agent? or specifically do you require
a structured tree model?

> 2. Do feel that the W3C Document Object Model provides the information that
> would be useful in providing alternative access to WWW materials through
> your assistive technology?
> http://www.w3.org/DOM/

How about phrasing the question in terms of the UAAG requirement, for
instance:

 "The User Agent Guidelines requires that general purpose user agents
  implement the W3C DOM [1] for providing access to content. Will
  the DOM meet your needs for access to content?

  [1] http://www.w3.org/DOM/

> 3. What are the current limitations or strengths of the Document Object
> Models available for WWW browsers from using the to improve accessibility
> (for example IE 4.0/5.0)?

  I'm not sure I understand this question. Does it mean "Would the W3C
DOM
  be better than what you're using now?"

> 4. What tools or resources would help you in using the DOM in your
> assistive technologies to improve access to WWW materials?

  What kind of tools are you thinking of? Do you have any in mind that
you
  could list as examples?

> 5. Do you have any comments related to any the requirements in Guideline 5.
> Observe system conventions and standard interfaces of the current user
> agent guidelines?  This section is primarily designed to insure
> compatibility with assistive technologies.
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/CR-UAAG10-20000126/#gl-accessible-interface

  Yes.

How about these questions:

 - Are you familiar with the W3C DOM?
 - Do you implement it for communication with browsers?
 - Do you plan to?
 - What platforms do you run on/expect to run on? What do you use
   currently on those platforms for access to content? To user the
   interface?
 - How resource-intensive do you think it would be to implement the DOM?

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814 or 212 532-4767