Re: Proposed addition to "applicability" definition

From: Jon Gunderson <jongund@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 09:38:19 -0600
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Ian,
I am not sure I like the word operating system since it seems a little
broad in scope.  I think I would rather see workding like:

device driver or system resources limitations

People should be able to over come most operating system limitations, but
system services would be much more difficult.

Jon

At 01:47 PM 1/15/00 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I propose adding the following clause to the  definition
>of applicability:
>
>A checkpoint applies to a user agent unless:
>
> [other cases]
>
>  - It cannot be satisfied due to hardware or operating
>    system limitations.
>
>This would cover the case, for example, of changes to font family
>on a device where there is only one font family available. It
>would also, I believe, cover the case of operating
>system conventions when no conventions exist on that system.
>
> - Ian
>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

Chair, W3C WAI User Agent Working Group