Re: I18N last call comments on User Agent AccessibilityGuidelines1.0

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 18:08:27 -0500
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
"Martin J. Duerst" wrote:

> At 08:35 1999/12/06 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> > "Martin J. Duerst" wrote:
> > >
> > > Dear Working Group,
> > >
> > > Below please find the last call comments from the Internationalization
> > > (I18N) WG on the User Agent Accessibility Guidelines 1.0.

Hi Martin,

Some followup on your comments.

The first comments you make refer to a checkpoint, since deleted,
on rendering according to natural language. At the face-to-face
meeting in December, we decided to delete the checkpoint since
we felt that "proper I18N rendering" was not an accessibility
issue. Refer to issue 140.

http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/1999/12/ftf-19991209#issue-140

In fact a comment you made after some clarifications seems to
suggest the same opinion:

   > But I'm not sure how much that makes sense in view of
   > accessability.

Thank you for your detailed comments about handling I18N
markup and HTTP information. This should be integrated
into a set of I18N guidelines for user agents.

 _ Ian

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814