Re: Editorial: Checkpoint 8.4

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 17:52:41 -0500
To: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@ACM.org>
Harvey Bingham wrote:

> Checkpoint 8.4 Provide a mechanism for highlighting and identifying
> (through a standard interface where available) the current viewport,
> selection, and content focus. ?this seems redundant with the following 4.13
> and 4.14, which add user control. Should they be combined?
>
> [Interesting that in User Agent Responsibilities that the these now come
> under subhead: Inherit OS features.]
>
> Checkpoint 4.13 Allow the user to control how the selection is highlighted
> (e.g., foreground and background color).
>
> Checkpoint 4.14 Allow the user to control how the content focus is
> highlighted (e.g., foreground and background color).

8.4 requires existence.
4.13/4.14 require control of style.

All are priority 1, and I think they deserve to stand separately
although I agree they are close. We might combine 4.13 and 4.14
as we combined the guideline 8 checkpoints on selection and focus.

Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814