Re: Raw minutes of 15 June UA Guidelines

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 22:12:59 -0400
To: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>
CC: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Jon Gunderson wrote:

> On control over speech rate and other characteristics all of our
> implementation experience is based not on CSS principles, but on
> enumeration of the ranges of speech technologies and providing controls
> that reflect the enumerated values.  I think this approach should be the
> first priority, since we can show that it can be implemented.  The
> secondary consideration if information can not be enumerated.

I agree with Jon that we should find out what we can about
existing speech technologies and the ranges that are offered
(as Gregory examined for speech rate [1]).

Gregory, would you take an action to report back ranges of values
for the various speech characteristic properties (excluding emacspeak,
which I guess conforms to CSS2's properties in this case, but is
not a browser)?

 - Ian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/2000AprJun/0482.html

Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842