Re: Proposed clarification to checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, 3.6

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 18:19:44 -0400 (EDT)
To: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
cc: Jon Gunderson <jongund@uiuc.edu>, w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
The "turn images off" checkpoint covers this case (admittedly at P2).

Is that enough?

Charles McCN

On Mon, 12 Jun 2000, Ian Jacobs wrote:

  Jon Gunderson wrote:

  > Ian,
  > For some types of cognitive disabilities, people with visual impairments
  > and some types of screen reder and magnification software my
  > understanding  was that it was important to turn off the
  > rendering or not allow the rendering of video.
  > Freeze may work for many people, but may not work for
  > all people.  What is the advantage of freezing a frame?

  It sounds like there are a couple of requirements:
  1) Stop things from moving
  2) Stop things from being too busy (e.g., don't open
     too many viewports).

  But is "don't render content" a requirement? If so, then
  why (still) video content and not graphically rendered
  text? Or graphics? I don't think we have a requirement
  for "make this page less busy" - the closest we get is
  "don't open too many viewports".

  So what are the accessibility requirements surrounding
  video and animation that freezing does not address?

   - Ian

  > At 10:33 PM 6/9/00 -0400, Ian Jacobs wrote:
  > >Hello,
  > >
  > >Please consider the following editorial clarification to
  > >checkpoints 3.3, 3.5, and 3.6 (of the 7 May draft [1]):
  > >
  > >  3.3 Allow the user to turn on and off rendering of video.
  > >      [Priority 1]
  > >
  > >  3.5 Allow the user to turn on and off animated or
  > >      blinking text. [Priority 1]
  > >
  > >  3.6 Allow the user to turn on and off animations and
  > >      blinking images. [Priority 1]
  > >
  > >After discussion with Charles and Eric Hansen about
  > >these checkpoints, we concluded that the requirement
  > >was to "freeze" video and animations. The term
  > >"turn on and off" may be construed to mean "do not
  > >render at all" but I don't believe that is the requirement
  > >expressed by these checkpoints. The accessibility problem
  > >in these cases (unless I am mistaken) arises from the
  > >distraction of the motion, not the mere rendering of
  > >the visual information. We do have a P2 checkpoint
  > >about turning off the rendering of images (checkpoint 3.9).
  > >Therefore, I propose using the term "freeze" instead
  > >of "turn on and off" for these three checkpoints.
  > >
  > >  - Ian
  > >

  > >[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-UAAG10-20000507

  Tel:                         +1 831 457-2842