Re: Proposed clarification of checkpoint 9.4

From: Harvey Bingham <hbingham@acm.org>
Date: Sun, 07 May 2000 01:05:07 -0400
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
At 2000-05-05 19:40-0400, Ian wrote:
>Hello,
>
>Checkpoint 9.4 of the Proposed Recommendation [1] reads:
>
>   9.4 When loading content (e.g., document, image, audio,
>       video, etc.) indicate what proportion of the content has
>       loaded and whether loading has stalled. [Priority 3]
>
>We do not have a definition of "load". I believe that
>this means "to put in the viewport", i.e., to render, rather
>than retrieve (although delays in loading may be due
>to delays in retrieval initially). I therefore propose
>the following restatement of the requirement:
>
><NEW>
>   9.4 When rendering content (e.g., document, image, audio,
>       video, etc.), indicate what proportion of the content has
>       been rendered and whether rendering has stalled. [Priority 3]
></NEW>
I like that, though for images that are first coarse-displayed, and
progressively sharpened (possibly taking 4x longer for 2x more detail
in each dimension per pass), I question the value of having a separate
proportion indicator. Often the ALT-text alone, or early coarse display
is plenty.

Regards/Harvey