Re: Proposal for WCAG 1.0 HTML Techniques module: using MAPgroup navigation links.

Jon Gunderson wrote:

> >IJ: I don't know that you need title. The lack of a name attribute
> >means that no image can use this map as a graphical image map. So
> >it's purpose could only be to contain some other navigation mechanism.
>
> Resources may have more than one group of navigation links.  For example a
> site navigation bar (between URIs) and an internal table of contents (with
> a URI) it would be nice to have a mechanism to distiguish between the two
> groups of navigation links.

Distinguish for what purpose? There are two element instances,
so the UA can distinguish them. How (in machine-recognizable
code) are you going to distinguish purpose? What's a use scenario?

Like others, I think that in HTML 4 our toolkit for doing interesting
things with navigation bars and other types of markup is very
limited. Once we have schemas and metadata, we can start to add
semantics. I don't think it's a good idea to depend on values
of the "title" attribute to communicate meaning to machines.

Of course, the title attribute could be used as a label for
each MAP so that, in the user interface, a user could distinguish
them and turn them on and off selectively. But then you wouldn't
want to use "Navigation bar" as title text anyway since it doesn't
say anything about the particular instance.

 - Ian