Re: MINUTES(edited): W3C WAI User Agent Telecon 22 December 1999

see 2 comments at MN below:

At 3:10 PM 12/22/99, Jon Gunderson wrote:

<snip>

>Action Items
>
>Completed Action Items
>
>   1.IJ: In glossary, add WHO definition of impairment, disability, and add
>functional limitation
>   5.DA: Propose rational to explain why deceleration of multi-media is
>important for users with impairments.
>   6.DB: Review techniques for Guideline 5
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0573.html
>   7.DP: Send to the list techniques for how to use and control focus to
>not have new windows cause problems for usability. In
>     particular, how this will work with ATs.
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0738.html
>   8.EH: Refine proposal on the meaning of "synchornized alternatives" to
>the list.
>   9.Status: Done (refer to WCAG/UAGL thread)
>  10.GR: Take WHO definitions of disability, impairment and functional to
>the ATAG and GL WGs for consideration in their
>     definitions
>  12.MK: Write some comments on synchronization in multi-media to the list
>     http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-wai-ua/1999OctDec/0464.html
>
>Continued Action Items
>
>   1.IJ: Review techniques for topic 3.2
>   2.IJ: Add clarifying Note to rationale that UAs can turn off control of
>content even if it passes content off for rendering.
>   3.IJ: Send proposal to list related to checkpoint for incremental
>positioning control in multi-media
>   4.IJ: Draft a statement for time of publication, there is no
>authoritative body that validates claims of conformance
>   5.IJ: Refer to ATAG definition of "applicability" and propose to list.
>   6.IJ: Repropose simpler Checkpoint for 1.1
>   7.IJ: Repropose the delivery mechanism of conformance statement to allow
>documentation as an option
>   8.IJ: Propose new checkpoint by merging 7.3 and 7.7 to the list
>   9.IJ: Propose a technique for using XSL to transform content
>  10.IJ: Write Bryan Campbell/Håkon Lie for clarification and David Clark,
>Mark Novak (cc the list).
>  11.JG: Review techniques for Guideline 8.3 to 8.9
>  12.DB: Ask IE Team about publication of review of IE 5 and Pri 1
>checkpoints.
>  13.DB: Find out how developers find out which appropriate triggers to use
>in Windows for using built-in accessibility features
>     (i.e. sound sentry, show sounds, ...)

MN:  I sent some notes regarding ShowSounds and SoundSentry to the list
last week explaining some of this, what more would people like to know?

> [...]
>
>30.MQ: Ask Mark about meaning of comment raised in Issue #167
>
>MQ: Mark is in Europe...
>
>31.WC: Take form submission to GL WG to discuss issues related to
>inadvertent submission.
>
>Announcements
>
>1.Web Content is rechartering
>
>2.New telecon weekly day and time for working group start on 6 January 2000
>Thursdays, 2-3:30pm (EST, USA), on Longfellow
>Bridge (+1-617-252-1038)
>
>3.Additional telecons to clear last call issues:
>Wednesday, 5 January 2000, 12:00-1:30 EST USA, Longfellow Bridge
>(+1-617-252-1038)
>Wednesday, 12 January 2000, 12:00-1:30 EST USA, Longfellow Bridge
>(+1-617-252-1038)
>
>Discussion
>
>LC#138: "Synchronized equivalent" v. "Continuous Equivalent"/ Proposed
>split of 2.5
>
>http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#138
>
>IJ: How does "applicability" apply to parts of a checkpoint? Should we
>split the checkpoint into smaller pieces (which Eric's
>proposal suggests)? Propose "the requirement" doesn't apply instead of
>"checkpoint"?
>
>MR: Or "portion of the checkpoint".
>
>MR: New pieces from Eric:
>a) Synthesizing auditory descriptions from text.
>b) Collated text transcript (excellent idea!).
>
>You can mix captions and text equivalents of auditory descriptions in a
>single file and include time codes. But this hasn't been
>specified yet in a W3C Recommendation. How do we deal with technologies
>that don't exist yet?
>
>JG: Need to move to PF for technologies that don't exist yet.
>
>MR: I thought the issues that needed to be discussed were: a) How to
>rewrite UA checkpoint to make WCAG and UAGL fit.
>
>MR: "captions" and "auditory descriptions" are all we have today. May want
>to generalize.
>
>JG: Or, update the Guidelines when the technology exists.
>
>Resolved:
>
>     - Applicability clause covers us for combined checkpoints.
>
>     Action Ian: Include language in "applicability" about portions of
>checkpoints.
>
>     - Leave 2.6 as is as of 20 December draft since these are known
>technologies. May add note to techniques about future
>     technologies.
>     - Consider EH's proposals as techniques (desirable combinations).
>
>Action IJ: Follow up on EH's email with some comments from this meeting.
>
>Candidate recommendation
>
>Refer to W3C Process Document description of Candidate Recommendation
>http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Process/Process-19991111/tr.html#RecsCR
>
>JG:
>a) Show existing implementations of requirements
>b) For that which is not done yet (e.g., DOM for communication of content),
>need to demonstrate feasibility and value over current
>techniques. AND/OR
>c) Get commitments from AT developers that they will adopt these solutions.

MN:  Do the scripts/EXEs/DLLs we've been developing and are continuing to
develop
which, for example, get and expose information from the browser using DOM
assist in this process ?