W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > w3c-wai-ua@w3.org > October to December 1999

Re: Proposed Agenda for Austin face-to-face 9/10 December

From: Ian Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 1999 14:02:38 -0500
Message-ID: <384EAB4E.77694A50@w3.org>
To: w3c-wai-ua@w3.org
Ian Jacobs wrote:
> 
> Hello,
> 
> A proposed agenda [1] for the meeting in Austin Thursday and
> Friday is online (and included as text below).

Whoops! Forgot the text!

---
                            F2F Agenda (Tentative)

     * [3]UAGL WG Home Page
     * [4]Austin meeting page
     * [5]Issues list
     * [6]6 December Guidelines

      [3] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA
      [4] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/1999/12/ua-agenda
      [5] http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html
      [6] http://www.w3.org/WAI/UA/WD-WAI-USERAGENT-19991206/

  Proposed process for resolving issues

   Since we received a number of [7]issues during last call, the Chair
   proposes the following process for resolving them during the meeting:

      [7] http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html

     Each issue will be given 10 minutes for discussion and resolution.
     If the issue has not been resolved after 10 minutes, the group by
     consensus allocate an additional 5 minutes for discussion if they
     feel the additional time will lead to resolution. If the issue is
     still not resolved, it will remain on the table until the Friday
     afternoon time block reserved for resolving remaining open issues.
     Working group members interested in the issue will be solicitied to
     develop proposals to help resolve the issues on Friday afternoon.

  Thursday, 9 December

    8:00 Transportation leaves from Hotel to IBM

    8:15 - 8:30 Continental Breakfast

    8:30 - 8:40 Preliminaries

     * Introductions
     * Review of agenda

    8:40 - 9:40 Introduction and Definitions

     * [8]LC#117: How are exception cases determined and by whom?
     * [9]LC#119: Proposed narrowing of scope in definition of
       "applicability" (ALSO: Put back in conformance section? -IJ)
     * [10]LC#128: Extend definition of focus to include GUI control
       focus
     * [11]LC#137: Use of terms for disabilities, impairment
     * [12]LC#144: Editorial changes to some Guideline titles suggested
     * [13]LC#173: Proposed revision of "native" to account for OS
       features

      [8]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#117
      [9]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#119
     [10]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#128
     [11]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#137
     [12]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#144
     [13]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#173

    9:40 - 10:20 Guideline 1. Support input and output
device-independence

     * [14]LC#141: Need to qualify checkpoint 1.4 in same was as 1.1 is
       qualified re: "every"
     * [15]LC#142: Checkpoint 1.5 (output device-independence) needs
       clarification.
     * [16]LC#152: Proposed checkpoint: "Do not constrain the accessible
       output by constraints of the existing presentation"
     * [17]LC#172: Some clarification required in 1.1

     [14]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#141
     [15]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#142
     [16]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#152
     [17]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#172

    10:20 -10:30 Break

    10:30 - 11:20 Guideline 2. Ensure user access to all content

     * [18]LC#138: "Synchronized equivalent" v. "Continuous Equivalent"/
       Proposed split of 2.5
     * [19]LC#140: Clarification on 2.3 required: how do you satisfy it
       if you don't support a language?
     * [20]LC#143: Proposed deletion of 2.6 since special case of 2.2
     * [21]LC#168: Checkpoint 2.7: Add object name in addition to type.
     * [22]LC#174: Natural language identification issues.

     [18]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#138
     [19]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#140
     [20]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#143
     [21]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#168
     [22]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#174

    11:20 - 12:00 Guideline 3. Allow the user to turn off rendering or
behavior
    that may reduce accessibility

     * [23]LC#145: Why is 3.7 Pri 1 and 3.10 Pri 3? (Re: blinking and
       flashing)
     * [24]LC#167: Proposed checkpoint to allow users to turn on/off
       multilingual support.
     * [25]LC#169: What UI is required for turning on/off features that
       may impede accessibility?

     [23]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#145
     [24]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#167
     [25]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#169

    12:00 - 1:00 Lunch

    1:00 - 2:10 Guideline 4. Ensure user control over styles

     * [26]LC#115: Checkpoint to maintain relative font sizes?
     * [27]LC#118: User Interface for text size (font size) control
     * [28]LC#132: Checkpoint 4.17 (Note): User should not be able to
       turn off default styles
     * [29]LC#135: Add incremental forward/rewind for audio, video,
       speech?
     * [30]LC#151: Proposed checkpoint: change audio rate without
       changing pitch

     [26]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#115
     [27]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#118
     [28]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#132
     [29]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#135
     [30]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#151

    2:10 - 3:00 Guideline 5. Observe operating system conventions and
standard
    interfaces

     * [31]LC#114: How do requirements for APIs overlap (DOM? Platform
       standards? Provided by Tool)
     * [32]LC#120: The UAGL should pay more attention to UI
accessibility
     * [33]LC#121: Consider reordering/grouping the
       checkpoints/Guidelines (e.g., accessible content/accessible UI)
     * [34]LC#122: Proposed checkpoint related to input focus on
controls
     * [35]LC#123: Proposed checkpoint to use standard UI components for
       the interface.

     [31]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#114
     [32]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#120
     [33]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#121
     [34]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#122
     [35]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#123

    3:00 - 3:20 Break

    3:20 - 4:30 Guideline 5. Observe operating system conventions and
standard
    interfaces

     * [36]LC#124: Should the Guidelines reference MSAA and JAAPI?
     * [37]LC#113: Deletion of Guideline 2: Support the Keyboard
     * [38]LC#116: Non-editorial issues raised by Eric Hansen
     * [39]LC#147: Need to review priority and wording of 5.8
     * [40]LC#150: Do APIs apply when the software is accessible on its
       own?
     * [41]LC#154: Proposed requirement that UAs give access to style
       sheet classes
     * [42]LC#165: Add information about system level flags to 5.2

     [36]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#124
     [37]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#113
     [38]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#116
     [39]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#147
     [40]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#150
     [41]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#154
     [42]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#165

    4:30 - 5:00 Guideline 6. Implement open specifications and their
    accessibility features

     * [43]LC#111: Proposal to make Checkpoint 6.1 have a relative
       priority
     * [44]LC#157: Correct reference to XSL in checkpoint 6.2 since only
       a Working Draft.

     [43]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#111
     [44]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#157

    Dinner at local restaurant

  Friday, 10 December

    8:00 Transportation leaves from Hotel to IBM

    8:15 - 8:30 Continental Breakfast

    8:30 - 8:40 Guideline 7. Provide navigation mechanisms

     * [45]LC#160: Delete checkpoints 7.3 and 8.2 (related to tables)
       since too vague

     [45]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#160

    8:40-9:10 Guideline 8. Help orient the user

     * [46]LC#160: Delete checkpoints 7.3 and 8.2 (related to tables)
       since too vague
     * [47]LC#163: Proposed new checkpoint on "Favorites" functionality

     [46]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#160
     [47]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#163

    9:00 - 9:10 Guideline 9. Notify the user of content and viewport
changes

     * [48]LC#148: Checkpoint 9.6: Does RETURN count as explicit submit?

     [48]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#148

    9:10 - 10:10 Guideline 10. Allow the user to configure the user
agent

     * [49]LC#112: Split checkpoint 10.1 into two separate checkpoints
       for author and user agent input functionalities and mark as an
       issue during last call
     * [50]LC#129: Need to clarify 10.3 ("Allow the user to change and
       control the inputconfiguration. Users should be able to activate
a
       functionality with a single-stroke (e.g., single-key, single
       voicecommand, etc.).)
     * [51]LC#130: Proposed rewording of 10.5: Avoid default > > input
       configurations that conflict with operating system navigation,
       control, and access conventions.
     * [52]LC#131: Proposed change in wording of 10.8
     * [53]LC#134: Proposed modification of 10.3: "The controls mustbe
       user-selectable."
     * [54]LC#149: 10.6: Wording (delete "and software") and Priority.

     [49]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#112
     [50]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#129
     [51]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#130
     [52]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#131
     [53]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#134
     [54]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#149

    10:10 - 10:20 Break

    10:20 - 10:30 Guideline 11. Provide accessible product documentation
and
    help

     * None, review guideline for any possible interactions with other
       changes

    10:30 - 12:00 Other Issues

     * [55]LC#113: Deletion of Guideline 2: Support the Keyboard
     * [56]LC#116: Non-editorial issues raised by Eric Hansen
     * [57]LC#120: The UAGL should pay more attention to UI
accessibility
     * [58]LC#121: Consider reordering/grouping the
       checkpoints/Guidelines (e.g., accessible content/accessible UI)
     * [59]LC#136: Proposal for checklist delivery (part of conformance)
     * [60]LC#153: Hold off on conformance until functional requirements
       between browsers/ATs more defined?
     * [61]LC#170: How can UAs "stay" accessible when there is a mass of
       inaccessible content?

     [55]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#113
     [56]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#116
     [57]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#120
     [58]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#121
     [59]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#136
     [60]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#153
     [61]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#170

    12:00 - 1:00 Lunch

    1:00 - 2:30 Priority Changes Only

     * [62]LC#133: Priority of 10.1 compared to 10.3
     * [63]LC#146: Review priorities of 4.16, 5.2, 8.3, 8.5, 10.3, 10.6
     * [64]LC#155: Propose change of priorities for checkpoints 5.3 (r/w
       access) and 10.3 (single key)
     * [65]LC#156: Propose change in priority of 5.6 (P1 -> P2)
     * [66]LC#158: Propose priority change (1 to 2) for checkpoint 4.1
       (control of font family)
     * [67]LC#159: Propose raise priority of 4.13 to Priority 1
     * [68]LC#161: Raise priority of 8.8 to P2 (highlighting and
       identifying selection/focus)
     * [69]LC#162: Raise priority of 8.9 (consistency in configs) to P2.
     * [70]LC#166: Review priority of 10.5 (default configs that
       interfere with OS conventions)
     * [71]LC#175: Proposed raise (to P1) of checkpoint 4.18
     * [72]LC#176: Proposed change in priority (P3 to P2) for checkpoint
       8.7 (link information

     [62]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#133
     [63]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#146
     [64]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#155
     [65]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#156
     [66]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#158
     [67]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#159
     [68]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#161
     [69]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#162
     [70]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#166
     [71]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#175
     [72]
http://cmos-eng.rehab.uiuc.edu/ua-issues/issues-linear.html#176

    2:30 - 2:45 Break

    2:45 - 4:45 Discussion of unresolved actions items

    4:45 - 5:00 Review of action items from meeting and discussion of
guideline
    scheduling for proposed recommendation
     _________________________________________________________________


    Last Modified: $Date: 1999/12/08 18:52:03 $
Received on Wednesday, 8 December 1999 14:02:51 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 27 October 2009 06:49:34 GMT