Re: comments on guidelines

Sorry,  What I meant was that if they don't use the standard API interface,
they provide some other API, a way to interact with it, and documentation
explaining how to do it so that people don't have to reverse engineer it.

This would be in practice a link to their internal interface. I'm assuming
that most software design has some sort of clean interface even if it
doesn't follow the operating system standards.

Since their may be valid implementation problems even with this, priority
would be less than 1.

Len

document  thewhatAt 09:39 AM 12/6/99 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
>"Leonard R. Kasday" wrote:
> >
> > At 12:41 PM 12/4/99 -0500, Ian Jacobs wrote:
> > >If they system on which the software runs does not have a standard API,
> > >then the standard output API requirement doesn't apply. If the tool
> > >runs on a system where it is not possible to operate the software with
> > >other software, the output API requirement would also not apply and
> > >the tool could thus conform.
> >
> > I'd suggest that in that case the system be required to provide a
> > documented interface to reach the same information.
>
>Such as a telephone number or Web page?
>
>  - Ian
>

>--
>Ian Jacobs (jacobs@w3.org)   http://www.w3.org/People/Jacobs
>Tel/Fax:                     +1 212 684-1814
>Cell:                        +1 917 450-8783

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)