Re: comments on guidelines

I don't think it's necessarily to literally squoze the text onto the screen
or scroll.  For example, with w3/emacspeak and other setups, the whole page
gets read without visually sqozing or even visually scrolling the screen at
all.  The screen just stays static while the software goes merrily reading
past the bottom of the page.

I'm not saying thats the optimal way for it to work.  For example, if I'm
working with a blind user we're no longer looking at the same thing once it
starts reading past the bottom.  It also confuses me.  However, it may be
easier to implement this than to try to keep the audio and visual views in
synch, and it satisfies the first priority of getting the info to a blind
user with a minimum of keystrokes.

And even if you don't do that, you can have the screen automatically scroll
horizontally or vertically as the UA reads.  For example, like Zoomtext in
voice mode.

Len

At 01:57 PM 12/1/99 -0500, David Poehlman wrote:
>I'd say that rate and pitch should be independantly controllable and we
>are still having trouble with the horrizontal issue.  vertical is fixed
>and I wouldn't expect that it could be squozed. for those who don't know
>what squozed means, it means squeezed in and in this context, it is an
>action where by the page would shrink vertically and horrizontally to
>fit on the same screen.  alow verticle scrolling by all means.  even
>horrizontal if the context can be maintained.  I love nothing more
>though than that a page wrap to make sense.
>
>--
>Hands-On Technolog(eye)s
>Touching The Internet
>ftp://ftp.clark.net/pub/poehlman
>http://poehlman.clark.net
>mailto:poehlman@clark.net
>voice 301-949-7599
>Dynamic Solutions Inc.
>Best of Service for your small business network needs
>http://www.dnsolutions.com

-------
Leonard R. Kasday, Ph.D.
Institute on Disabilities/UAP, and
Department of Electrical Engineering
Temple University
423 Ritter Annex, Philadelphia, PA 19122

kasday@acm.org
http://astro.temple.edu/~kasday

(215) 204-2247 (voice)
(800) 750-7428 (TTY)